Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford man dies during boating

Abbotsford man dies during boating
An Abbotsford man has been found dead after going missing while rowing on the Sumas River earlier this week. Police say the 65-year-old rower was found by dive teams this weekend in the area where he was last seen.

Abbotsford man dies during boating

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death
Police have announced the arrests of four suspects just hours after a man was shot dead in Surrey.  The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says quick co-ordination between Surrey RCMP, Air 1 and the Lower Mainland's emergency response team led to the arrests. 

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical
Police in Burnaby say a driver is in critical condition in hospital after being struck by an object that crashed through their windshield along Highway 1. R-C-M-P say it happened just before noon yesterday and Highway Patrol officers were searching for the unknown object that seriously injured the driver.

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP
Police say two people died when a sports car crashed at a luxury private motorsports club in Oliver, B.C. A statement from the RCMP says the driver of a sports car participating in a private event Wednesday at the Area 27 Motorsports Park failed to navigate a turn and hit a cement barrier at high speed.

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing
Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced the launch of a $1.5-billion co-operative housing development program that the federal government promised in its 2022 budget. Fraser was in Winnipeg on Thursday to announce the program, which Liberals touted as the largest federal investment in co-op housing in 30 years.

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards
Health Canada and Good Earth Lighting are recalling some rechargeable LED motion-activated light bars because they pose a fire and burn hazard. The affected light bars are 12 inches long and were sold between October 2017 and January 2024.

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards