Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Report warns of dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents in Canada in 2023

Report warns of dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents in Canada in 2023
Jewish leaders in Canada are warning of a national crisis as the number of hateful incidents targeting Jews doubled in one year. B'Nai Brith Canada says it documented nearly 5,800 incidents of antisemitism in 2023, including acts of violence, harassment and vandalism.

Report warns of dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents in Canada in 2023

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats
The federal government announced $574 million in funding on Monday for 19 projects across the country to prepare for health emergencies, including the next pandemic. One of them is a national network of existing emergency departments and primary-care clinics that will screen for any new viruses or pathogens that start to appear in patients.

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown
London Drugs is gradually reopening its stores across Western Canada more than a week after a cybersecurity breach forced the retailer to close. The company says it is working with independent cybersecurity experts to securely bring its systems back online after it was discovered April 28.

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar
Three suspects accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar last year are scheduled to appear in court in Surrey on Tuesday. Indian nationals Karanpreet Singh, Kamalpreet Singh, and Karan Brar are due to face charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder at Surrey Provincial Court.

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP
Mounties say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in a fatal stabbing that shook the community of White Rock, B.C., last month. A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Hyacinth from nearby Surrey is accused of killing Kulwinder Singh Sohi on April 23, two days after Hyacinth allegedly stabbed another man who survived the attack.

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar
Three Indian nationals have been charged with the murder of B.C. Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar, in a killing last year that threw Ottawa's relationship with New Delhi into disarray. Police say they are investigating if the Indian government was involved, an allegation raised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the House of Commons last year.  

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar