Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Child luring incident in East Vancouver

Child luring incident in East Vancouver
Vancouver police say they're investigating a disturbing child luring incident in East Vancouver on Friday. Police say they're looking for a South Asian man between 20 and 30 years old who allegedly propositioned a 13-year-old boy not far from the 29th Avenue SkyTrain station around 8 in the evening of March 22nd.   

Child luring incident in East Vancouver

New affordable housing in Langley

New affordable housing in Langley
A new building with close to 100 affordable homes is now open in Langley. A statement from B-C's housing ministry says the five-storey building offers apartments of various sizes for people with low and moderate incomes.

New affordable housing in Langley

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access
In today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, the integration of technology in education is both inevitable and contentious. Recently, British Columbia made headlines with the announcement of an upcoming province-wide restriction on cellphone use in public schools, sparking a debate that echoes the concerns and perspectives of various stakeholders – parents, students, and teachers alike.

Digital Discipline: B.C. Schools Take Action to Restrict Mobile Phone Access

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say
Data from Vancouver police shows a "dramatic" drop in small drug seizures after decriminalization came into effect in British Columbia last year. The department says during the first nine months of the program officers did not seize any drugs under 2.5 grams, as is outlined in Health Canada's three-year exemption.  

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M
Mounties in Richmond are warning the public after a "significant rise" in romance scams and investment schemes in the city, with a loss of more than $16 million last year. Police say they received 87 reports of romance crimes in 2023, and the trend continues this year with another 12 cases being reported between January to March with nearly $500,000 lost.

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says
British Columbia has approved the use of an updated Taser weapon for officers around the province to use as a less-lethal weapon during police confrontations. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the Taser 7 offers the ability to discharge a second shot without reloading a new cartridge and its short-distance shooting range option, among other "enhancements."

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says