Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl did not bring a gun into a Vancouver courtroom eight weeks ago, on the day Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Brock Martland, who represents the father, said it's an "unfounded proposition" that Ali's lawyers have repeated several times, aiming to exclude the man from post-trial proceedings on safety grounds.

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire
A coroner's inquest jury looking into the Winters Hotel fire that killed two people in Vancouver two years ago was stood down Friday to deliberate potential recommendations to avoid similar deaths. For two weeks the inquest heard evidence about the fire that killed residents Mary Ann Garlow and Dennis Guay, including testimony that the sprinkler system wasn't operating because of a smaller fire three days earlier.

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson has apologized for saying Israel was founded on a "crappy piece of land," remarks that have angered pro-Palestinian groups and others and triggered calls for her resignation. Robinson said in a social media post on Thursday that her comments were "disrespectful," and she was referring to the land having limited natural resources.  

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Cremated remains found at YVR

Cremated remains found at YVR
Police are asking for the public's help in reuniting cremated remains with the rightful guardian. Mounties in Richmond say someone left a package at the outbound international screening checkpoint at Vancouver International Airport on November 27th.

Cremated remains found at YVR

Man charged with multiple B & E's

Man charged with multiple B & E's
A man suspected of multiple break-and-enters last year and in 2022 has been charged with 27 counts in relation to the incidents. Burnaby Mounties say the 44-year-old is facing charges ranging from break-and-enter to possession of stolen property, including for the purpose of trafficking.

Man charged with multiple B & E's

3 year housing plan for Surrey

3 year housing plan for Surrey
The City of Surrey is launching a three-year plan to boost the number of new housing units to an average of more than four thousand per year. A statement from the City of Surrey says the plan is enabled by 96-million-dollars in federal funding.  

3 year housing plan for Surrey