Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP
RCMP in Metro Vancouver say one man is dead and three people have been arrested after an alleged hit-and-run early Saturday morning. A statement from Surrey RCMP says officers responded at 1:43 a.m. to a report of a pedestrian being struck along 105th Avenue, not far from City Hall.

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating the city's first homicide of this year.  A statement from police says officers were called to a home near East 33rd Avenue and Knight Street just after 1 a.m. Sunday and found a man dead inside.  Police say they arrested a 39-year-old man at the scene.  

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say
Police in Coquitlam are asking for the public's help in identifying two separate drivers suspected of hitting the same pedestrian in alleged hit-and-run crashes. A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says the woman had been walking legally through a crosswalk at the intersection of Pinetree Way and Guildford Way, right across from City Hall, when the first vehicle struck her as it made a turn.

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students
British Columbia's Minister of Post-Secondary Education Selina Robinson says no new institutions will be allowed to enrol international students for two years. Robinson also says the province is setting minimum language requirements so international students are "better prepared" before coming to B.C.  

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says there’s an emerging patter of stability in the commercial real estate market. While sales were down in the third quarter of 2023 compared with the year before, the board says demand for commercial properties is starting to re-emerge. 

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Human remains found in Nanaimo
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say human remains found at a beach on Wednesday have been identified as that of a 35-year-old man reported missing early last month.  Mounties say the remains were found at Neck Point beach.

Human remains found in Nanaimo