Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

TransLink launches new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus for Surrey

TransLink launches new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus for Surrey
TransLink says its new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus is now cruising the streets on what it calls the busiest bus corridor south of the Fraser.  TransLink says the R-6 is geared toward Surry and Delta residents and Kwantlen University students, who can expect to shave a few minutes off their trips between Scott Road station and the Newton bus exchange. 

TransLink launches new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus for Surrey

One dead in Surrey house fire

One dead in Surrey house fire
One person died on New Year's Day in a house fire in Surrey. Mounties say four occupants of the house escaped and are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

One dead in Surrey house fire

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford
On December 30th of last year 24-year-old Roman Arinder Gill and 28-year-old Shaun Narinder Gill were charged with various firearm offences.  Mounties say officers were called Friday to a report of shots fired, when two suspects fled the area in a blue Range Rover.

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice
A union representing more than 180 transit workers in B.C. has issued a 72-hour strike notice. CUPE Local 4500 represents workers employed by the Coast Mountain Bus Company, which runs transit operations for all of Metro Vancouver. The notice is effective at 8 a.m. local time on Wednesday.  

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a man suffered serious injuries after a shooting in Port Kells Monday night. Surrey R-C-M-P say they were called to a report of shots fired on 92nd Avenue around 10 p-m where they found a 19-year-old victim with a gunshot wound. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12
The premier says he spoke with Carson's father who told him that since their son's death, the family has been contacted by the families of three of his classmates, who said their children were also talking online with strangers. Eby says people from across B.C. have been contacting his office saying their children were in situations similar to Carson's and they only found out due to publicity surrounding the boy's death.

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12