Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store
Mounties in Creston says a 73-year-old man faces multiple charges, including impaired driving, after a vehicle crashed through a dollar store on Monday morning. Police say damage to the store was significant after the vehicle drove through the front window of the Your Dollar Store with More. 

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store

Over 50 arrests in Kelowna retail theft

Over 50 arrests in Kelowna retail theft
Kelowna Mounties say an operation targeting shoplifters over a seven-day period this month resulted in more than 50 arrests. Police say the operation was in response to concerns from Kelowna's retail sector about theft and violence at stores.

Over 50 arrests in Kelowna retail theft

Ties with India appear to have undergone 'a tonal shift': Canada's Trudeau

Ties with India appear to have undergone 'a tonal shift': Canada's Trudeau
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that Ottawa's relations with New Delhi appear to have undergone "a tonal shift", following US indictment of an Indian national in a plot to kill a Sikh separatist on American soil. The US indictment appears to have convinced the Narendra Modi government to adopt a more sober tone, Trudeau told CBC news channel in a year-end interview.  

Ties with India appear to have undergone 'a tonal shift': Canada's Trudeau

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead
The prosecution service guideline says in order for charges to be approved, there must be a "substantial likelihood of conviction" based on the strength of the evidence as well as the public interest being served in a prosecution. The crash of the bus operated by Alberta-based Ebus happened on Highway 97C, the Okanagan Connector, east of Merritt, when the bus went off the road and flipped on its side

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta
The City of Delta has launched a one-year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across the city. Pads and tampons are now available at washrooms of the city’s public facilities and they will be replenished in the same way toilet paper and paper towel are in washrooms. 

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report
A new report from the Yellowhead Institute says Canada won't complete all 94 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's calls to action until 2081. The institute found that no calls to action were completed over the course of 2023. 

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report