Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

Child luring incident in North Vancouver
Police in North Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a child reported being approached by a stranger driving a truck. The Mounties say it happened early afternoon near West 13th Street and Mahon Avenue as a 10-year-old boy was walking along the street.  

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses
The House of Commons heritage committee unanimously agreed on Thursday to have the president of the public broadcaster address the cuts and potential bonuses. The committee summoned Tait to appear at its first meeting in the new year following the holiday recess, but a date has yet to be set. 

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier
Newly elected members of the Northwest Territories legislature have chosen their next premier.  R.J. Simpson, the legislature member for Hay River North, won on the second round of voting Thursday. Simpson was first elected to the legislature in 2015, and previously worked with the federal government, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd., Métis Nation Local 51 and Maskwa Engineering. 

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier
Premier David Eby says the New Democrat government's ambitious homebuilding agenda could result in up to 293,000 new housing units over the next decade. Eby provided details of the housing strategy at a British Columbia Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge
A mobile overdose prevention site will launch in Maple Ridge later this month. Fraser Health says in a statement that the site will begin operations on December 18th, using a customized van with an outdoor covered area to accommodate people who inhale or smoke substances.

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Ottawa will require foreigners applying to study in Canada to have double the amount of funds currently required. Miller says the change is among those meant to ensure international students aren't left vulnerable to sketchy employers and unable to afford life in Canada.

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools