Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall
Members of the public attending council meetings and other public events at Vancouver City Hall will now go through an enhanced security screening process. The city says in a statement that the change is responding to the evolving security environment and following in the footsteps of other Canadian cities that have adopted similar security measures.

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall

South Surrey shooting, 1 injured

South Surrey shooting, 1 injured
One person was injured in a shooting in South Surrey this morning. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to multiple reports of shots fired in a residential neighbourhood, and at first they couldn't find the victim.   

South Surrey shooting, 1 injured

Fatal hit and run in Surrey

Fatal hit and run in Surrey
Police in Surrey are investigating a fatal crash where one of the drivers fled the scene. Mounties say a white Ford Mustang was travelling southbound when it collided with a black Toyota Corolla at an intersection causing significant damage to both vehicles.

Fatal hit and run in Surrey

Weekend crash south of Whistler, B.C., kills two adults, one child Squamish

Weekend crash south of Whistler, B.C., kills two adults, one child Squamish
Two adults and a child are dead and a fourth person was injured in a single vehicle crash on the Sea to Sky Highway south of Whistler. Insp. Robert Dykstra, the officer in charge of the Squamish-based Sea to Sky RCMP, says a northbound vehicle veered off the road and hit a tree early Sunday.  

Weekend crash south of Whistler, B.C., kills two adults, one child Squamish

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions
More humanitarian aid is expected to flow into Gaza over the next two days after Israel and Hamas extended a four-day ceasefire that was set to expire last night. The original truce allowed hundreds of trucks to deliver desperately needed food, water and medical supplies to hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who have endured weeks of Israeli siege and bombardment.

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas
The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas