Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Apr, 2024 03:48 PM
  • International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

The Liberals temporarily waived the 20-hour cap on work hours for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to ease labour shortages.

That waiver expires Tuesday.

"Looking at best practices and policies in other like-minded countries, most of them limit the number of working hours for international students. Canada's rules need to be aligned or we will find our programs attracting more and more applicants whose primary intent is to work and not study," Miller said. 

"To be clear, the purpose of the international student program is to study and not to work."

The new work limit comes as the federal government clamps down on a surge in international student enrolments across the country. 

Critics have warned that allowing international students to work full-time could turn a study permit into an unofficial work visa, which would undermine its purpose. 

However, the federal government is also hearing from international students who say they need to work more to pay for their studies. 

Miller said his government is setting the cap at 24 hours because that seems "reasonable," and would allow students to work three full eight-hour shifts a week.

He also noted that internal work by the department shows more than 80 per cent of international students are currently working more than 20 hours a week.

The work hours limit will return to 20 hours per week until September, when the government can implement a permanent change to make it 24 hours.

There are no limits on the number of hours international students can work when they're not actively enrolled in class, such as during the summer.

The Canadian Press reported earlier this year that officials in Miller's department warned the government in 2022 that the temporary waiver could distract students from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs.

Miller previously floated the idea of setting the cap permanently at 30 hours a week. However, on Monday, the immigration minister said that would be too close to full-time hours.

"We know from studies as well that when you start working in and around 30-hour levels, there is a material impact on the quality of your studies," he said.

Miller extended the waiver on work hours in December because he didn't want the change to affect students during the school year itself.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lytton sues CN, CP rail and Transport Canada over 2021 fire that razed village

Lytton sues CN, CP rail and Transport Canada over 2021 fire that razed village
The notice of claim says a train passed through the village 18 minutes before the first report of a fire near the tracks that eventually destroyed 90 per cent of the town's buildings and scorched an additional 837 square kilometres of land. 

Lytton sues CN, CP rail and Transport Canada over 2021 fire that razed village

Sunshine Coast man found shot dead on Highway

Sunshine Coast man found shot dead on Highway
On Thursday at 3:38 a.m., the Sunshine Coast RCMP were called to the 8000-block of Birch Way, Halfmoon Bay, after a report of a shooting. Officers attended and located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. Despite the efforts of first responders, the victim succumbed to his injuries.  

Sunshine Coast man found shot dead on Highway

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim
A statement from Richmond RCMP says they have received multiple calls since June 16 to investigate the pet owner after posters were put up around the city listing the address and accusing the resident of cruelty.

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision
Vancouver Police are investigating a fatal collision that killed a 28-year-old man this morning, and are asking anyone with information to call investigators. Although the investigation is still in its early stages, it is believed speed and impaired driving contributed to the crash. The 34-year-old suspect, driving the van, was taken to hospital for serious injuries. The investigation is ongoing.

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior
A statement from Merritt RCMP says the two were last seen Monday in a small boat on Stump Lake, between Kamloops and Merritt. Friends began a search around the lake late Monday, then called police when they couldn't find the two men.

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran
The B.C. Prosecution Service announced in a statement Thursday that the charge laid against Colin Basran last October has been dropped. The service says special prosecutor Brock Martland was appointed to the investigation of a sexual assault alleged to have happened in May 2022, when Basran was the sitting mayor. 

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran