Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

International study permit data an 'earthquake' for Canadian university finances

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 10:50 AM
  • International study permit data an 'earthquake' for Canadian university finances

A dramatic decline in international study permits issued last year is quickly becoming an existential threat to the finances of Canadian post-secondary schools, say organizations representing the institutions.

"The drop in international students is like an earthquake hitting an education system that's already structurally weakened by years of underinvestment," said Gabriel Miller, president and CEO of Universities Canada.

Provinces where international permit allocations were increased last year are also experiencing a decline in international enrolment, creating gaps in budgets that may lead to program cuts.

The federal government said last week that Canada issued about 40 per cent fewer international study permits among kindergarten to Grade 12, post-secondary and postgraduate students last year, overshooting its 35-per-cent target.

This year, it's seeking a further 10-per-cent reduction.

A recent report from ApplyBoard, an online marketplace for learning institutions, said the number of permits approved for college students likely dropped by about 60 per cent, while approvals for international undergraduate students fell about 40 per cent.

The total number of international study permits issued by Ontario was also essentially cut in half by the cap. ApplyBoard said it's projected the province had a 55 per cent decline in international permit approvals for 2024.

The dramatic decrease led Toronto's Centennial College to suspend 49 full-time programs. The University of Winnipeg recently cut its women's soccer team and English language program to find cost savings, citing pressure from lower international enrolment.

Alberta's quota for international students was boosted by about 10 per cent last year, but it's expected to see a 30 per cent decline in total study permit approvals when the 2024 data is tallied, said the ApplyBoard report.

Meti Basiri, co-founder and CEO of ApplyBoard, said the federal government's new policies aiming to cut the number of international students have caused confusion and uncertainty for students planning to continue their studies in Canada.

"That's pretty much all across every single level, whether that's PhD, master's, primary — even the programs or levels (and) institutions that were not part of any of these policy changes," he said.

Basiri said the decline of international students has forced many colleges and universities in Canada to cut programs and close campuses, which means fewer programs for domestic students in the coming years.

"Domestic tuition fees (are) going to go higher," he added.

Miller said the numbers are a "big, bright, flashing yellow light for the country."

The cap will hurt Canada in the long-term by forcing it to lose out on future workers, he said.

Universities have already been teetering due to various decisions made by provincial governments that have inhibited their ability to create revenue, Miller said.

The Ontario government, for example, has frozen tuition for domestic students until at least 2027, though it injected more than $1.2 billion in one-time funding last year in response to federal immigration reforms. In Alberta, cuts to the provincial post-secondary budget have led to significant tuition increases for domestic students.

Plummeting international enrolment and governments' funding decisions will likely result in layoffs, larger class sizes and hiring freezes, Miller said.

"A major drop in international student enrolment represents a fundamental change in the funding system for Canadian universities," he said.

"And unless that system now is repaired by governments, we're not going to be able to meet the need for education among our own native-born population."

The University of Calgary welcomed nearly nine per cent fewer international students last fall than in the fall of 2023, the school said in a statement.

It said the drop equates to an impact of about $11 million on tuition revenue for the year. It didn't say how it would be affected. "This impact will grow over time, as students would have been anticipated to attend over multiple years."

The university said in a statement that while it's too early to speculate on the cap's impact, it will "certainly lead to a budgetary shortfall, the full extent of which is currently being assessed."

Ermia Rezaei-Afsah, president of the University of Calgary students' union, said several programs at the school have been frozen.

"We're seeing that the caps are working better than they're intended to," Rezaei-Afsah said.

"It's going to get worse in 2025," he said. "The reputational damage is immense."

Pari Johnston, president and CEO of Colleges and Institutes Canada, said it has been warning about the "devastating" impacts from the reforms.

"Canadian student access to high-demand programs, the training and talent pipeline employers depend on, and local research and innovation capacity are all at risk," Johnston said.

The federal government has maintained that funding challenges related to the cap are not its problem.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller said in December that the government "didn't tell any university or college to charge international students four or five times what we charge domestic students."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man sentenced for multiple break-ins over a year

Man sentenced for multiple break-ins over a year
Police say a 44-year-old man has been sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison for committing multiple break-ins in a six-month period between 2022 and 2023. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the man had been targetting high-end homes under construction.

Man sentenced for multiple break-ins over a year

Identity of man killed in Langley shooting released

Identity of man killed in Langley shooting released
Homicide detectives are releasing the identity of a man killed in a shooting in Langley over the weekend in hopes of advancing the investigation. Police say Johnathan Hebrada-Walters of Edmonton was known to police, and initial investigation indicates he was the victim of a targeted shooting.

Identity of man killed in Langley shooting released

HandyDART strike in Metro Vancouver ending as workers ratify new deal with TransDev

HandyDART strike in Metro Vancouver ending as workers ratify new deal with TransDev
Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 voted Monday to ratify the deal, giving workers a "significant" wage increase, that the union says would address the staffing shortages.  TransDev says it's pleased the three-week strike is coming to an end.

HandyDART strike in Metro Vancouver ending as workers ratify new deal with TransDev

Trudeau meets with Haiti's acting prime minister, calls for humanitarian help

Trudeau meets with Haiti's acting prime minister, calls for humanitarian help
Justin Trudeau will turn his focus to the ongoing crises in Haiti as he speaks with some world leaders Monday ahead of the 78th meeting of the United Nations General Assembly. The prime minister met with the Caribbean country's acting prime minister, Garry Conille, on Monday morning before delivering remarks at a high-level meeting for a UN advisory group for Haiti.

Trudeau meets with Haiti's acting prime minister, calls for humanitarian help

Nanaimo RCMP need public's help in cracking down on dangerous driving

Nanaimo RCMP need public's help in cracking down on dangerous driving
Mounties in Nanaimo are asking for the public's help in cracking down on motorcycle riders operating dangerously in the Vancouver Island city. R-C-M-P say they have received numerous reports of riders performing wheelies, driving on the wrong side of the road and driving on sidewalks at high speeds -- and many of the stunts have been filmed, with videos posted to social media.

Nanaimo RCMP need public's help in cracking down on dangerous driving

What To Expect At The 2024 Darpan Awards

What To Expect At The 2024 Darpan Awards
It’s the final countdown for one of the most awaited nights of the year for the South Asian community in Canada—the 2024 DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards, proudly presented by RBC. This year, the celebration is even more special as DARPAN Magazine marks a spectacular 20 years of bringing forth the stories, successes and contributions of incredible South Asians across the world.

What To Expect At The 2024 Darpan Awards