Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Feb, 2025 01:20 PM
  • Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage

Delays at Toronto's Pearson airport continued Wednesday as investigators worked to determine the cause of the fiery crash landing of a Delta Air Lines plane and crews began removing parts of the wreckage. 

Two of Pearson's five runways, including the "busiest" in Canada, remain closed, said the airport's duty manager Jake Keating. The airport had capped departures throughout the day and a similar step had been taken to manage arrivals. 

“This is put in place in an effort to sort of make sure that we’re not overwhelming the airfield and making sure that we’re maximizing our capabilities on the available runways that we have," he said in an interview with TV station CP24 Wednesday morning. 

The airport's website listed dozens of cancelled and delayed flights Wednesday. Sunwing Airlines said in a statement that it had to cancel several southbound flights departing from Pearson in order to "prioritize the safe return of customers" currently delayed in various destinations.

Once the Delta plane wreckage is removed, Keating said delays would likely persist as the airport inspected the runway to make sure "everything is still in working order."

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada said Wednesday that the aircraft wreckage will be moved to a hangar at Pearson airport "to be examined further" and that its investigators will also examine the runway before it's reopened. Investigators had already recovered the plane's black box on Tuesday, and the agency said they will continue to interview people for the next several days as part of the probe.

All 76 passengers and four crew members survived Monday when Delta flight 4819, operated by its subsidiary Endeavor, crashed at Pearson. 

Video shows the jet made a hard landing then tipped over, creating a fireball as its wing scraped along the ground before it went belly-up and came to a stop in a cloud of smoke. Emergency crews doused the plane as passengers climbed out of emergency exits and onto the snow-swept tarmac.

Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian praised the actions of first responders and the flight crew, while seeking to reassure nervous flyers. 

"It's horrifying when you look at the video," he said in an interview Wednesday with "CBS Mornings."

"But the reality is that safety is embedded into our system. Air travel in the United States is the safest form of transportation and travel there is – period – and it's because we train for events like this." 

He called the crew operating the flight "experienced," adding that all pilots train for the conditions encountered Monday.

The airline said 20 of the 21 passengers initially sent to local hospitals had been released as of Wednesday morning.

The Transportation Safety Board has said it's too soon to tell what led to the crash. 

Kit Darby, a U.S.-based veteran aviator and flight instructor, suggested in an interview with The Canadian Press that gusty winds and possible mechanical issues with the landing gear may have been contributing factors in Monday's crash. 

A Toronto law firm specializing in aviation cases was retained by two Canadian passengers, said Vincent Genova, a partner at Rochon Genova. The firm also represents family members of passengers who were on the Ukraine International Airlines flight shot down over Tehran in 2020. 

Genova said both clients in the Delta crash had suffered injuries, including one who he said went back to the hospital Wednesday over a possible head injury when the seatbelts released. Genova said he was also working with an American firm retained by U.S. clients. 

"We're probably going to start our own investigation to determine if there are any other parties that should be involved in potential litigation moving forward," he said in an interview. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week
A federal public inquiry into foreign interference is grappling with how to define its central issue as it begins the final week of hearings in Ottawa. The inquiry will hear from expert panels this week on disinformation, national security and how to ensure electoral integrity. 

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election
The outcome of British Columbia's election was unclear after a close race between the NDP and the B.C. Conservatives, with the Greens poised to play a role in a potential minority government. Here's what the party leaders said on Saturday's election night.

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada
Kash Heed said the Bishnoi gang, led by Lawrence Bishnoi, gained notoriety and instilled fear among Indian Canadians well before the RCMP accused the syndicate this week of orchestrating violent crimes on Canadian soil.

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28
The final results of British Columbia's weekend election won't be known until at least next week. Elections BC says official recounts are being held in two tight ridings where the difference between the New Democrat and B.C. Conservatives candidates is less than 100 votes.

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP
Police in northeastern British Columbia say they're searching for a man who has failed to return from a 10-day camping trip in a remote provincial park. RCMP say Sam Benastick's family reported him missing on Saturday, after he didn't come home from the trip to Redfern-Keily Park, located about 250 kilometres northwest of Fort St. John.

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police
Officers responded to a report of the slide along Quarry Road on the east side of Pinecone Burke Provincial Park at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Coquitlam RCMP said in a statement issued Sunday. The slide washed away one home, and Cpl. Alexa Hodgins with the Coquitlam detachment said it's believed the home was occupied at the time.

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police