Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Is hurricane Lee headed for Canada? The 'spaghetti models' can be misleading: expert

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Sep, 2023 10:34 AM
  • Is hurricane Lee headed for Canada? The 'spaghetti models' can be misleading: expert

For residents of Canada's East Coast, some of the latest images showing the potential path northward for a rapidly intensifying hurricane Lee are disturbing.

By combining multiple computer-generated forecasts, meteorologists have produced maps of the western Atlantic Ocean that suggest the powerful storm could slam into the Maritimes late next week.

But an expert says these long-range models are of little use beyond about five days.

Chris Fogarty, program manager at the Canadian Hurricane Centre in Halifax, says these spaghetti models — so called because the layers of predicted tracks look like splayed noodles — don't adequately represent the broad range of possible forecasts.

As an example of that lack of accuracy, Fogarty pointed to the path recently taken by hurricane Franklin earlier this month.

The 10-day spaghetti model for Franklin also indicated it would head toward Atlantic Canada, but its actual track took the storm out to sea long before it came close to Canadian waters

MORE National ARTICLES

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program
The government plans to offer cheques of up to $650 to qualifying low- and middle-income families with children under the age of 12 to help pay for their dental needs. Qualifying families will have to attest that they don't have private insurance, that they have out-of-pocket dental expenses and that they will keep their receipts.

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert
Police say fights broke out inside and outside the PNE Amphitheatre following the sudden cancellation of the headline act in the final hours of the two-day BreakOut Festival. The police statement says hostile concertgoers also caused significant property damage to the amphitheatre, other PNE grounds and the surrounding neighbourhood before order was restored.

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting
At approximately 4:30pm, on Sunday, Surrey RCMP responded to a report of shots fired in the 12300 block of 68thavenue. Responding officers attended and found shots fired into a residence and confirmed there were no injuries.

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal
The Finance Ministry says the deal is between the Public School Employers' Association and school presidents' councils representing 57 locals of the Canadian Union of Public Employees.  

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment
VPD patrol officers launched a criminal investigation earlier this week after receiving information illicit drugs and weapons were being stored inside a tent near Main and Hastings. 5 people were arrested. The investigation remains ongoing.

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later
A Parole Board of Canada decision says 40-year-old Kerry Sim, who was formerly known as Kelly Ellard, has been authorized to remain on day parole but with numerous conditions. Sim was 15 years old when she and a group of teenagers swarmed and beat Virk, and her trial heard she and a co-accused later followed the 14-year-old girl to continue the beating and drown her in the Gorge waterway.  

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later