Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Sep, 2022 06:55 PM
  • Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

SURREY, B.C. - Police in British Columbia's Lower Mainland say an investigation into an international drug trafficking network has led to charges against three residents and an alleged associate in Japan, who is linked to the Yakuza crime syndicate.

A statement from the RCMP's federal serious and organized crime team says the investigation began in August 2019, when the Canada Border Services Agency intercepted a 12-kilogram shipment of methamphetamine destined for Japan.

The Mounties say investigators identified the main Canada-based suspects as three residents of Richmond, B.C., south of Vancouver, and confirmed their alleged associate in Japan had ties to the Yakuza transnational organized crime syndicate.

They say the B.C.-based group then shipped an additional seven-kilogram load of methamphetamine to a second alleged associate in Tokyo.

The RCMP say officers executed a search warrant in June 2020 at a home in Richmond, where they seized a variety of drugs, including heroin and fentanyl, along with $100,000 in U.S. and Canadian cash, a prohibited firearm and two Tasers.

They say the Yakuza-linked Japanese suspect was arrested by police in that country and charged with drug importation offences, while the second alleged associate was arrested after attempting to flee through Tokyo's Haneda Airport.

The three Richmond residents have been charged with multiple counts of drug-related offences, in addition to numerous firearm offences, the RCMP say.

Photos included in the RCMP's news release show the B.C.-based group allegedly used large protein powder containers to ship the methamphetamine to Japan.

MORE National ARTICLES

Poll: 29% of Canadians want restrictions lifted

Poll: 29% of Canadians want restrictions lifted
Forty-three per cent of Canadians surveyed by Leger identified their feelings about the current state of the pandemic as "prudent" — the most popular answer of four options — saying they did not want to lift restrictions too quickly.

Poll: 29% of Canadians want restrictions lifted

Male in Surrey shooting of Fraser Heights area passes away

Male in Surrey shooting of Fraser Heights area passes away
The male victim has succumbed to his injuries and the investigation has been turned over to Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT). Any further inquiries regarding this investigation will be handled by IHIT.

Male in Surrey shooting of Fraser Heights area passes away

Trucks leave Ottawa's core, but spur other action

Trucks leave Ottawa's core, but spur other action
Ottawa police said Thursday that a dozen trucks left an area outside the downtown core after negotiations with protesters who have used the parking lot there as a staging and logistics ground. Ten more trucks left streets near Parliament Hill, and another vehicle was towed for obstructing traffic.

Trucks leave Ottawa's core, but spur other action

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 21,974 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 310,533 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 893 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 143 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation

1,187 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city
A barge that had been the subject of jokes and the star of many photos after becoming stuck on a popular Vancouver beach during a severe storm in November is on its way out. The City of Vancouver says a process is underway to remove the grounded barge from English Bay by taking it apart in pieces.    

Vancouver's beached barge to be disassembled: city

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery
Municipal Affairs Minister Josie Osborne says all of village's records and backup servers were lost in last summer's wildfire and the content of many of its bylaws are unknown. The government also announced $8.3 million in funding to support ongoing operations and recovery for the village.

B.C. provides $8.3 million to Lytton recovery