Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Sep, 2022 06:55 PM
  • Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

SURREY, B.C. - Police in British Columbia's Lower Mainland say an investigation into an international drug trafficking network has led to charges against three residents and an alleged associate in Japan, who is linked to the Yakuza crime syndicate.

A statement from the RCMP's federal serious and organized crime team says the investigation began in August 2019, when the Canada Border Services Agency intercepted a 12-kilogram shipment of methamphetamine destined for Japan.

The Mounties say investigators identified the main Canada-based suspects as three residents of Richmond, B.C., south of Vancouver, and confirmed their alleged associate in Japan had ties to the Yakuza transnational organized crime syndicate.

They say the B.C.-based group then shipped an additional seven-kilogram load of methamphetamine to a second alleged associate in Tokyo.

The RCMP say officers executed a search warrant in June 2020 at a home in Richmond, where they seized a variety of drugs, including heroin and fentanyl, along with $100,000 in U.S. and Canadian cash, a prohibited firearm and two Tasers.

They say the Yakuza-linked Japanese suspect was arrested by police in that country and charged with drug importation offences, while the second alleged associate was arrested after attempting to flee through Tokyo's Haneda Airport.

The three Richmond residents have been charged with multiple counts of drug-related offences, in addition to numerous firearm offences, the RCMP say.

Photos included in the RCMP's news release show the B.C.-based group allegedly used large protein powder containers to ship the methamphetamine to Japan.

MORE National ARTICLES

CN Rail drops contempt case against LNG protesters

CN Rail drops contempt case against LNG protesters
The BC Prosecution Service announced in April it was not in the public interest to pursue criminal contempt charges against protesters, but a B.C. Supreme Court ruling last month found CN could continue its own legal action.

CN Rail drops contempt case against LNG protesters

Bodies of migrant family from India identified

Bodies of migrant family from India identified
The High Commission of India in Ottawa and RCMP released the identities of the four who died. They were Jagdish Baldevbhai Patel, a 39-year-old man; Vaishaliben Jagdishkumar Patel, a 37-year-old woman; and their children Vihangi Jagdishkumar Patel, an 11-year-old girl; and Dharmik Jagdishkumar Patel, a three-year-old boy.

Bodies of migrant family from India identified

The pandemic long-term care crisis never ended

The pandemic long-term care crisis never ended
While vaccines have played a major role in protecting homes from the same deadly toll the first wave of COVID-19 took on residents, the impact has still been profound during the Omicron wave.

The pandemic long-term care crisis never ended

Trucker convoy leaves Kingston, en route to Ottawa

Trucker convoy leaves Kingston, en route to Ottawa
Kingston police announced on Twitter that the last vehicles in the convoy had departed the city around 9:30 a.m. Friday, putting its likely arrival in the capital at around noon.

Trucker convoy leaves Kingston, en route to Ottawa

One of Trudeau's kids tested positive for COVID-19

One of Trudeau's kids tested positive for COVID-19
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's isolating because one of his kids tested positive for COVID-19. In an interview with The Canadian Press, he says he feels fine and has no symptoms.

One of Trudeau's kids tested positive for COVID-19

NACI now recommends boosters for some teens

NACI now recommends boosters for some teens
Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says kids and adolescents are still at low risk of serious illness in general from COVID-19 but because of the high rate of infection due to Omicron more kids are being admitted to hospital.

NACI now recommends boosters for some teens