Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Sep, 2022 06:55 PM
  • Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

SURREY, B.C. - Police in British Columbia's Lower Mainland say an investigation into an international drug trafficking network has led to charges against three residents and an alleged associate in Japan, who is linked to the Yakuza crime syndicate.

A statement from the RCMP's federal serious and organized crime team says the investigation began in August 2019, when the Canada Border Services Agency intercepted a 12-kilogram shipment of methamphetamine destined for Japan.

The Mounties say investigators identified the main Canada-based suspects as three residents of Richmond, B.C., south of Vancouver, and confirmed their alleged associate in Japan had ties to the Yakuza transnational organized crime syndicate.

They say the B.C.-based group then shipped an additional seven-kilogram load of methamphetamine to a second alleged associate in Tokyo.

The RCMP say officers executed a search warrant in June 2020 at a home in Richmond, where they seized a variety of drugs, including heroin and fentanyl, along with $100,000 in U.S. and Canadian cash, a prohibited firearm and two Tasers.

They say the Yakuza-linked Japanese suspect was arrested by police in that country and charged with drug importation offences, while the second alleged associate was arrested after attempting to flee through Tokyo's Haneda Airport.

The three Richmond residents have been charged with multiple counts of drug-related offences, in addition to numerous firearm offences, the RCMP say.

Photos included in the RCMP's news release show the B.C.-based group allegedly used large protein powder containers to ship the methamphetamine to Japan.

MORE National ARTICLES

Burnaby RCMP need your help in locating missing woman Reshmi Mani

Burnaby RCMP need your help in locating missing woman Reshmi Mani
Reshmi is a South Asian woman and 52 years old. Reshmi’s family and friends, as well as police, are concerned about Reshmi’s well-being and are asking the public to share the information provided above.

Burnaby RCMP need your help in locating missing woman Reshmi Mani

Fourth doses not yet needed for most: experts

Fourth doses not yet needed for most: experts
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday that the country will have enough third and fourth doses for all eligible Canadians — if or when they're needed — with contracts signed through 2024 with Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Fourth doses not yet needed for most: experts

Ottawa backs away from trucker vaccine mandate

Ottawa backs away from trucker vaccine mandate
Only days before Canadian truck drivers were required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to get into the country or face quarantine, the federal government is backing away from the vaccine mandate. The new rule will still take effect for American truckers starting this weekend, with drivers being turned away at the border unless they've been inoculated.

Ottawa backs away from trucker vaccine mandate

Canada joining Mexico to dispute USMCA auto-rules

Canada joining Mexico to dispute USMCA auto-rules
Canada is joining forces with Mexico to challenge how the United States is interpreting the new rules that govern duty-free cars and trucks. Mexico last week asked for a dispute resolution panel to challenge the stringent U.S. interpretation of the auto rules of origin enshrined in the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement.

Canada joining Mexico to dispute USMCA auto-rules

Canada lacks data to help adapt to climate change

Canada lacks data to help adapt to climate change
A new report suggests Canada is not doing enough to adapt to and prevent the effects of climate change and is lacking the critical data it needs to do so.

Canada lacks data to help adapt to climate change

Two B.C. schools make closure decision: ministry

Two B.C. schools make closure decision: ministry
Two schools have stopped in-person classes in British Columbia, less than two days after most students returned to classrooms following an extended holiday break due to the surging COVID-19 Omicron variant. The Education Ministry says schools in Hazelton and Surrey recently made the decision.

Two B.C. schools make closure decision: ministry