Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Sep, 2022 06:55 PM
  • Japanese Yakuza link in B.C. drug bust: RCMP

SURREY, B.C. - Police in British Columbia's Lower Mainland say an investigation into an international drug trafficking network has led to charges against three residents and an alleged associate in Japan, who is linked to the Yakuza crime syndicate.

A statement from the RCMP's federal serious and organized crime team says the investigation began in August 2019, when the Canada Border Services Agency intercepted a 12-kilogram shipment of methamphetamine destined for Japan.

The Mounties say investigators identified the main Canada-based suspects as three residents of Richmond, B.C., south of Vancouver, and confirmed their alleged associate in Japan had ties to the Yakuza transnational organized crime syndicate.

They say the B.C.-based group then shipped an additional seven-kilogram load of methamphetamine to a second alleged associate in Tokyo.

The RCMP say officers executed a search warrant in June 2020 at a home in Richmond, where they seized a variety of drugs, including heroin and fentanyl, along with $100,000 in U.S. and Canadian cash, a prohibited firearm and two Tasers.

They say the Yakuza-linked Japanese suspect was arrested by police in that country and charged with drug importation offences, while the second alleged associate was arrested after attempting to flee through Tokyo's Haneda Airport.

The three Richmond residents have been charged with multiple counts of drug-related offences, in addition to numerous firearm offences, the RCMP say.

Photos included in the RCMP's news release show the B.C.-based group allegedly used large protein powder containers to ship the methamphetamine to Japan.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP
Const. Richard Johns says 28-year-old Rykel Frank and 29-year-old Mitchell Frank will go before a judge this week following their arrest on Friday. 6 year-old Dontay Lucas was found dead in a home in Port Alberni in March 2018.

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement
The new Surrey Langley Skytrain public engagement begins Monday, May 9, 2022, and runs until June 9. Open houses for members of the public are scheduled for May 25 in Surrey and for May 31 in Langley. Surrey Langley SkyTrain is currently scheduled for completion in late 2028, two years earlier than first estimated.

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season
U.S. border officials also seem to be seeing more people trying to cross in the opposite direction. 6 Indian nationals were rescued from a boat sinking on the St. Regis River in northern New York late last month, part of what court documents allege was a human smuggling operation.

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed
While the investigation is still in the early stages, investigators confirm one person is in custody at this point. Although one person has been arrested, police continue to treat this investigation as active and ongoing to determine the circumstances, states Corporal Paige Kuz, Coquitlam RCMP Media Relations Officer.    

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend
VPD officers were called to Crab Park around 10.20 a.m. Saturday for reports of one man being assaulted. Andrew Wadden, a 45-year-old Vancouver resident, was found by police in the park with life-threatening injuries.

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend

B.C. money laundering report gets extension

B.C. money laundering report gets extension
The B.C. government says in a statement the report's submission had previously been due May 20, but the extension is a result of several members of the Cullen Commission inquiry team contracting COVID-19.

B.C. money laundering report gets extension