Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Jassi Sidhu ‘Honour Killing’: Canadian Supreme Court Stays Extradition At Last Minute

IANS, 21 Sep, 2017 10:34 AM
    In a sudden twist in the Jassi honour killing case, the Supreme Court of Canada has stayed the extradition of  two prime accused--Malkiat Kaur and Surjit Singh Badesha, mother and maternal uncle of Jassi--just before a plane carrying them to India was about to take off.
     
     
    The court announced that it would review the extradition as certain Facebook posts from India claimed that the two would be convicted immediately. Under the extradition treaty, the Indian government gives an undertaking of a fair trial but the posts claimed otherwise. 
     
     
    Michael Klein, who filed the application before the court, told media that they had sought a “judicial review” of the decision to extradite Jaswinder Jassi Sidhu’s mother Malkiat Kaur Sidhu and uncle Surjit Singh Badesha. Klein has also sought a review of the Canadian justice minister’s support for the extradition.
     
     
    “The surrender cannot go forward,” Klein said, referring to the handing over of the pair to the Indian authorities.
     
     
    A three-member police team was expected to take custody of Malkiat Kaur and Surjit Singh on Wednesday and return to India with the two in the evening.
     
     
     
     
    Punjab Police officials said sketchy details were available from the three-member team about the revised court order and the Facebook posts. “We took the two in custody on Wednesday. We are trying to establish contact with the team and Canadian police but the time difference between the two countries is delaying the communication.”
     
     
    The team was supposed to reach New Delhi at 9 pm on Thursday. The police had made arrangements for producing them before a Judge in Sangrur on Friday.
     
     
    “The Canadian officials made the two accused and the Punjab Police team alight from the plane at the last minute. They had boarded the plane with due permission of the Canadian government,” said an official.
     
     
    Jaswinder, a resident of Maple Ridge in British Columbia, married a man her family did not approve of and that summer, she was murdered in Punjab in what was an alleged contract killing at the behest of her family, including the two accused that the Indian authorities seek to take back to stand trial in India.
     
     
     
    He said the application filed on Wednesday was based on “new information that has come to light” though he refused to divulge details about the nature of the information.
     
     
    While the Supreme Court of Canada ruled recently in favour of the extradition going ahead, Klein said that in approaching the BC court of appeal, they were “in new territory.”
     
     
    The Punjab Police comprises Kanwardeep Kaur, SP Headquarters, Patiala; Akashdeep Singh Aulakh, DSP, Dhuri; and Inspector Deepinder Pal Singh, they are expected to remain in Vancouver while the court rules on the application. The hearing is expected on Thursday.
     
     
    25-year-old Jassi Sidhu was killed in June 2000 when a group attacked the couple, taking Jassi away in a car.
     
     
    Her body was found in a canal in Punjab.
     
     
    She had fallen in love with a rickshaw driver on a trip to India and secretly married him several years later against the wishes of her family who had already arranged a marriage.
     
     
    In 2014, a British Columbia judge committed them for extradition to face the charges, prompting then-justice minister Peter MacKay to issue surrender orders, conditional on several assurances from India.
     
     
    The ruling from the Supreme Court, delivered in Ottawa and reinstating the extradition order, was unanimous and based on assurances from the Canadian government that the two would not be ill-treated while in India for their trial.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    N.S. Sailor Jailed Three Years For Sexually Assaulting Woman He Met On Facebook

    N.S. Sailor Jailed Three Years For Sexually Assaulting Woman He Met On Facebook
    HALIFAX — A Halifax-area navy sailor has been jailed three years for sexually assaulting a woman he met over Facebook.

    N.S. Sailor Jailed Three Years For Sexually Assaulting Woman He Met On Facebook

    As Trump Looks Inward, Trudeau Charts Course Forward With Other Allies

    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to make global action on climate change and sustainable economic development a main thrust of Canada's upcoming year as president of the G7.

    As Trump Looks Inward, Trudeau Charts Course Forward With Other Allies

    47-Yr-Old Oshawa, Ont., Woman Charged In 5 Alleged Assaults On Muslims Over 2 Days

    47-Yr-Old Oshawa, Ont., Woman Charged In 5 Alleged Assaults On Muslims Over 2 Days
    OSHAWA, Ont. — A 47-year-old Toronto-area woman is facing multiple assault charges after allegedly targeting Muslims on three occasions.

    47-Yr-Old Oshawa, Ont., Woman Charged In 5 Alleged Assaults On Muslims Over 2 Days

    Man Used Dating Site To Meet Women To Defraud, Toronto Police Allege

    Man Used Dating Site To Meet Women To Defraud, Toronto Police Allege
    TORONTO — Police say a Toronto-area man wasn't looking for love when he was on a popular online dating site.

    Man Used Dating Site To Meet Women To Defraud, Toronto Police Allege

    Porter Airlines Pulls Ads From The Rebel, Apologizes For Use Of Word 'Blacklist'

    Porter Airlines Pulls Ads From The Rebel, Apologizes For Use Of Word 'Blacklist'
    TORONTO — Porter Airlines has joined a string of Canadian companies pulling its advertisements from The Rebel, a conservative media website which has carried articles opposing immigration and questioning climate change science.

    Porter Airlines Pulls Ads From The Rebel, Apologizes For Use Of Word 'Blacklist'

    Girl Sexually Assaulted After Being Picked Up By Apparent Cab Driver In Labrador

    Girl Sexually Assaulted After Being Picked Up By Apparent Cab Driver In Labrador
    63-year-old man faces multiple charges after the girl was offered a ride by a man driving a vehicle "believed to be a taxi cab" near an RBC branch in Happy Valley-Goose Bay at about 9:30 p.m. Friday.

    Girl Sexually Assaulted After Being Picked Up By Apparent Cab Driver In Labrador