Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Jassi Sidhu ‘Honour Killing’: Canadian Supreme Court Stays Extradition At Last Minute

IANS, 21 Sep, 2017 10:34 AM
    In a sudden twist in the Jassi honour killing case, the Supreme Court of Canada has stayed the extradition of  two prime accused--Malkiat Kaur and Surjit Singh Badesha, mother and maternal uncle of Jassi--just before a plane carrying them to India was about to take off.
     
     
    The court announced that it would review the extradition as certain Facebook posts from India claimed that the two would be convicted immediately. Under the extradition treaty, the Indian government gives an undertaking of a fair trial but the posts claimed otherwise. 
     
     
    Michael Klein, who filed the application before the court, told media that they had sought a “judicial review” of the decision to extradite Jaswinder Jassi Sidhu’s mother Malkiat Kaur Sidhu and uncle Surjit Singh Badesha. Klein has also sought a review of the Canadian justice minister’s support for the extradition.
     
     
    “The surrender cannot go forward,” Klein said, referring to the handing over of the pair to the Indian authorities.
     
     
    A three-member police team was expected to take custody of Malkiat Kaur and Surjit Singh on Wednesday and return to India with the two in the evening.
     
     
     
     
    Punjab Police officials said sketchy details were available from the three-member team about the revised court order and the Facebook posts. “We took the two in custody on Wednesday. We are trying to establish contact with the team and Canadian police but the time difference between the two countries is delaying the communication.”
     
     
    The team was supposed to reach New Delhi at 9 pm on Thursday. The police had made arrangements for producing them before a Judge in Sangrur on Friday.
     
     
    “The Canadian officials made the two accused and the Punjab Police team alight from the plane at the last minute. They had boarded the plane with due permission of the Canadian government,” said an official.
     
     
    Jaswinder, a resident of Maple Ridge in British Columbia, married a man her family did not approve of and that summer, she was murdered in Punjab in what was an alleged contract killing at the behest of her family, including the two accused that the Indian authorities seek to take back to stand trial in India.
     
     
     
    He said the application filed on Wednesday was based on “new information that has come to light” though he refused to divulge details about the nature of the information.
     
     
    While the Supreme Court of Canada ruled recently in favour of the extradition going ahead, Klein said that in approaching the BC court of appeal, they were “in new territory.”
     
     
    The Punjab Police comprises Kanwardeep Kaur, SP Headquarters, Patiala; Akashdeep Singh Aulakh, DSP, Dhuri; and Inspector Deepinder Pal Singh, they are expected to remain in Vancouver while the court rules on the application. The hearing is expected on Thursday.
     
     
    25-year-old Jassi Sidhu was killed in June 2000 when a group attacked the couple, taking Jassi away in a car.
     
     
    Her body was found in a canal in Punjab.
     
     
    She had fallen in love with a rickshaw driver on a trip to India and secretly married him several years later against the wishes of her family who had already arranged a marriage.
     
     
    In 2014, a British Columbia judge committed them for extradition to face the charges, prompting then-justice minister Peter MacKay to issue surrender orders, conditional on several assurances from India.
     
     
    The ruling from the Supreme Court, delivered in Ottawa and reinstating the extradition order, was unanimous and based on assurances from the Canadian government that the two would not be ill-treated while in India for their trial.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Komagata Maru’s 103rd Anniversary: Read The Statement By Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

    Komagata Maru’s 103rd Anniversary: Read The Statement By Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
    Prime Minister Of Canada On The Anniversary Of The Komagata Maru Incident

    Komagata Maru’s 103rd Anniversary: Read The Statement By Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

    Hungry Sea Lion Drags Little Girl Into Water At Richmond, B.C., Wharf In A Dramatic Video

    Hungry Sea Lion Drags Little Girl Into Water At Richmond, B.C., Wharf In A Dramatic Video
    VANCOUVER — The man who shot heart stopping video of a sea lion snatching a little girl off a Vancouver-area wharf says at first he froze.

    Hungry Sea Lion Drags Little Girl Into Water At Richmond, B.C., Wharf In A Dramatic Video

    Traffic Moving After Truck Fire Closed Coquihalla Highway For A Full Day

    Traffic Moving After Truck Fire Closed Coquihalla Highway For A Full Day
    Northbound traffic on the Coquihalla Highway, 25 kilometres south of Merritt, was allowed by the accident site at about 6 a.m. and southbound traffic began flowing 90 minutes later.

    Traffic Moving After Truck Fire Closed Coquihalla Highway For A Full Day

    Eight Revenue Agency Workers Fired For Roles In Privacy Breaches: CRA

    Eight Revenue Agency Workers Fired For Roles In Privacy Breaches: CRA
    OTTAWA — The Canada Revenue Agency says eight of its employees were fired in the last fiscal year after violating taxpayers' privacy.

    Eight Revenue Agency Workers Fired For Roles In Privacy Breaches: CRA

    NDP Holds Courtenay-Comox, Focus Shifts To Absentee Ballots In B.C. Recount

    NDP Holds Courtenay-Comox, Focus Shifts To Absentee Ballots In B.C. Recount
    VANCOUVER — ElectionsBC is turning its attention absentee ballots cast in British Columbia's tight election race after recounts in two ridings upheld the original outcome of the May 9 vote.

    NDP Holds Courtenay-Comox, Focus Shifts To Absentee Ballots In B.C. Recount

    Metal Thieves Suspected By Police After 175 Bronze Vases Stolen From Surrey Cemetery

    Metal Thieves Suspected By Police After 175 Bronze Vases Stolen From Surrey Cemetery
      The RCMP say a mother who was visiting her son's grave on April 26 noticed the bronze vase at his gravesite had been stolen.

    Metal Thieves Suspected By Police After 175 Bronze Vases Stolen From Surrey Cemetery