Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2021 08:26 PM
  • Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence

Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou has lost a bid to admit additional evidence in her extradition case showingno risk of loan loss by the international bank at the centre of the fraud allegations.

Meng's lawyers had argued in court to allow evidence that loans from HSBC were repaid in full, but B.C. Supreme Court Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes says the evidence isn't relevant.

Holmes says in a written ruling she agrees with an argument by Canada's attorney general that the inclusion of the loans in the U.S. record of the case is relevant to allegations against Meng.

Holmes says the United States claims HSBC was misled by Meng's alleged misrepresentation into continuing a banking relationship with the Huawei group of companies.

The judge says a lender who makes a loan on the strength of a misrepresentation is at risk of economic loss, because they have lost the use of the funds for the period of the loan.

Meng denies allegations by the United States that she misrepresented Huawei's control of another company in a presentation to HSBC, putting the bank at risk of violating U.S. sanctions against Iran.

MORE National ARTICLES

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast
Environment Canada had been calling for as much as 15 centimetres in some south coast regions by Monday morning.

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday
There are two new health-care facility outbreaks at Royal Inland Hospital and Royal Columbian Hospital. The outbreak at Queen’s Park Care Centre is now over. 

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau
The federal government is looking at options that would make it harder for people to return from foreign trips.

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud
The unproven civil claim named Sanjay Madan, who had a senior IT role and helped develop the computer application for applying and approving the benefit for families with children.

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud

Shots fired in Langley

Shots fired in Langley
The victim is known to police and has been cooperative with the investigation. The shooting is believed to be targeted and the investigation is ongoing.

Shots fired in Langley

B.C. to release report on COVID-19 response

B.C. to release report on COVID-19 response
Adrian Dix says the Health Ministry commissioned the report by Ernst & Young to learn lessons from the first wave of the pandemic.

B.C. to release report on COVID-19 response