Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2021 08:26 PM
  • Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence

Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou has lost a bid to admit additional evidence in her extradition case showingno risk of loan loss by the international bank at the centre of the fraud allegations.

Meng's lawyers had argued in court to allow evidence that loans from HSBC were repaid in full, but B.C. Supreme Court Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes says the evidence isn't relevant.

Holmes says in a written ruling she agrees with an argument by Canada's attorney general that the inclusion of the loans in the U.S. record of the case is relevant to allegations against Meng.

Holmes says the United States claims HSBC was misled by Meng's alleged misrepresentation into continuing a banking relationship with the Huawei group of companies.

The judge says a lender who makes a loan on the strength of a misrepresentation is at risk of economic loss, because they have lost the use of the funds for the period of the loan.

Meng denies allegations by the United States that she misrepresented Huawei's control of another company in a presentation to HSBC, putting the bank at risk of violating U.S. sanctions against Iran.

MORE National ARTICLES

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines
Oxfam Canada and the ONE Campaign say it is wrong for the federal government to agree to accept almost 1.9 million doses of vaccine from the COVAX Facility by the end of June.

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift
Henry said they have concerns about the new and faster-spreading variants of COVID-19 in other jurisdictions and they don't want them to spread in B.C.

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.
Sgt. Frank Jang says Kenworthy is known to police and the shooting was targeted, but it's not yet known if it was gang related.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

Military investigates after Vance allegations
Vance could not be reached for comment on Thursday and the allegations against him could not be independently verified.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday
The province confirmed 465 new cases Thursday for a total of 69,245 since the pandemic began.

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report
Turpel-Lafond, a former judge and ex-children's advocate, was appointed by Health Minister Adrian Dix last year to examine anti-Indigenous racism in health care. Her first report came out in November and made 24 recommendations.

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report