Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau Credits Immigration For Canada’s Growing Tech Sector

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 May, 2019 06:44 PM

    TORONTO — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told hundreds of attendees at a conference in Toronto on Monday that Canada's thriving technology sector is a result of the country's openness to immigrants and he hopes Canadians will continue to view immigration positively.

     

    Trudeau was the first keynote speaker at the four-day conference, called Collision, which is being held in Canada for the first time.

     

     

    Organizers are calling the event North America's fastest growing technology conference, and this is the first time it is being held outside the United States.

     

    While being interviewed by Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO of Canadian entertainment company BroadbandTV Corporation, Trudeau stressed that Canada has become a major source of talent for tech all over the world and that it is attracting entrepreneurs to the country.

     

    He also cited the federal government's investments in education and research as reasons for success in Canadian companies and startups.

     
     
     
     

    "Access to talent obviously comes from immigration and it comes from training young and educating Canadians right," said Trudeau.

     

    He said while many countries including the U.S. "are closing themselves off more to immigration," Canada is staying open.

     

    "As we see anxieties and worries around the world, Canadians know that we get more resilient communities, we get better solutions, we get better innovations, when we bring in people from all around the world," Trudeau said.

     
     
     
     

    "That's why we are doing well even at a time of anxiety — we have seen the Canadian economy flourish over the past few years."

     

    Rafati also asked the prime minister about his recent announcement regarding the creation of a digital charter that would combat hate speech, misinformation and election interference.

     

    Last week at the VivaTech conference in Paris, Trudeau said he's confident the framework his government will propose will restore the faith of citizens while holding online platforms accountable.

     

    Rafati asked the prime minister to go into further detail about the proposal, but Trudeau only said it would focus on the government working collaboratively with tech companies to ensure citizen's personal information is safe and that solutions are made in regards to online harassment.

     

    Innovation Minister Navdeep Bains is expected to provide more details at a summit on digital governance in Ottawa in late May.

     

    "What you wouldn't allow in a personal space — in a real space — shouldn't be happening where people spend so much more time — in a virtual space," Trudeau said.

     

    The Collision conference runs from Monday to Thursday at the Enercare Centre.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Surrey Man Arrested For Hateful ‘Pressure Cooker Bomb’ Comments On Facebook Following Vaisakhi Parade

    Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a man has been arrested as they investigate an allegation that a hateful message was posted on social media.

    Surrey Man Arrested For Hateful ‘Pressure Cooker Bomb’ Comments On Facebook Following Vaisakhi Parade

    Three BC Sikhs Put On Secret Canadian No-Fly List; Disquiet In Community

    In what was seen as a paradigm shift of the Justin Trudeau-led Canadian Federal government towards advocates of Sikh radicals in Canada, three Canadian Sikh activists have been put on the no-fly list under the Secure Travel Act.  

    Three BC Sikhs Put On Secret Canadian No-Fly List; Disquiet In Community

    Youth Accused In Kingston, Ont., Terrorism Case Rearrested On New Charges

    An eastern Ontario teen already facing five charges related to an alleged terrorism plot has been rearrested after breaching his bail conditions, police and lawyers said Tuesday.

    Youth Accused In Kingston, Ont., Terrorism Case Rearrested On New Charges

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island
    Voting at a polling station in Prince Edward Island province of Canada was suspended Tuesday afternoon due to a bomb threat, according to CTV.

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel
    William Tchouamou Ganjui and his two-year-old son Menelik fell into the deep end of the pool at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Montreal in April 2016.    

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel

    Appeal Of Ruling Suspends Assault Trial For Ex-Afghanistan Hostage Joshua Boyle

    Boyle has pleaded not guilty in Ontario court to offences against his wife Caitlan Coleman, including assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement.

    Appeal Of Ruling Suspends Assault Trial For Ex-Afghanistan Hostage Joshua Boyle