Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect ID needed in stranger sexual assault

Suspect ID needed in stranger sexual assault
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect in a stranger sexual assault that happened in the city on Saturday around 3 a.m. They say officers responded and that the victim reported being woken up by a man groping her at her home.

Suspect ID needed in stranger sexual assault

Body found in the Fraser River

Body found in the Fraser River
Richmond R-C-M-P say they've launched an investigation after a body was found in the Fraser River near an industrial area earlier this week.  Mounties say the human remains were found Tuesday in the water after getting a call around midday on July 22nd. 

Body found in the Fraser River

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia has dropped again to about 400 after another day of favourable weather. The BC Wildfire Service says the fire risk has decreased on the heels of cooler temperatures and rain in many regions following a prolonged dry spell and heat wave that drove numbers beyond 430 earlier this week.

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn

Homicide in Maple Ridge

Homicide in Maple Ridge
The R-C-M-P are investigating a 58-year-old women's death as a homicide after responding to reports of an injured woman in Maple Ridge over the weekend. Mounties say they responded to the report on Sunday afternoon and located a woman suffering from serious injuries who was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Homicide in Maple Ridge

BC Auditor General retiring in Fall

BC Auditor General retiring in Fall
B-C Auditor General Michael A. Pickup is retiring in November after four years in the role. He made the announcement today and thanked everyone who has supported and worked with him during his time in the province.

BC Auditor General retiring in Fall

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative
The British Columbia couple whose remains recently washed ashore on Nova Scotia's remote Sable Island have been identified as 70-year-old James Brett Clibbery and his 54-year-old wife, Sarah Packwood. Clibbery’s sister, Lynda Spielman, said Tuesday the RCMP had confirmed their identities.

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative