Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Another body found in English Bay

Another body found in English Bay
Vancouver police say two women have been found dead in English Bay since Sunday, and they're wondering if the pair are somehow linked. The V-P-D says one woman's body washed up on shore near the Kitsilano Yacht Club on Monday, but it's not known how she died or whether or not it was a crime. 

Another body found in English Bay

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires
British Columbia's wildfire service says a significant change in the weather could cause another burst of wildfire activity, with extensive thunderstorms expected in the north and parts of the south following weeks of hot and dry weather. A bulletin from the service says B.C. saw thousands of lightning strikes over the weekend, mostly in the north, with more in the forecast.

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's
Miller says the replacement documents include permanent resident cards, Canadian citizenship certificates, passports and other travel documents that were lost, damaged or destroyed by wildfires. The special measures are in place until November 30th of this year.

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week
Homicide investigators say they want to speak with anyone who may know more about a 17-year-old who was found dead in Surrey last week.  Police say they’ve determined the death of Michael Zhao has no connections to the B-C gang conflict and it appears to be an isolated death.

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice
Calgary's outdoor water restrictions will remain in place for now. The city has been cautiously testing the water system in recent days, and says there were issues at both water treatment plants, including pumps at water intakes.

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice

Sandeep Singh Cheema dies in head on semi trailer collision

Sandeep Singh Cheema dies in head on semi trailer collision
Sandeep Singh Cheema, 41, a beloved father and husband, passed away as a result of a horrific head-on collision that occurred on July 16th, when a speeding semi-trailer drove through a red light as Sandeep was about to turn into his workplace to park his semi-trailer truck for the night and head home to his wife and daughters.

Sandeep Singh Cheema dies in head on semi trailer collision