Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Start of wildfire season better than last year, but risk is high as drought continues

Start of wildfire season better than last year, but risk is high as drought continues
The start to wildfire season has been far less dramatic than it was last year but the risk of hot, dry weather and severe fires remains high, officials warned Thursday.

Start of wildfire season better than last year, but risk is high as drought continues

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote
Saskatchewan's education minister is being accused of trying to influence a teachers vote after saying he's not ruling out extending the school year should educators reject his offer and take job action. 

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin
The Alberta Utilities Commission is fining another electricity generator that powered bitcoin mining for operating without a licence. 

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video
One of the Indian nationals accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar says in a social media video that he received a Canadian study permit with the help of an Indian immigration consultancy. In the Facebook video posted in December 2019 by EthicWorks Immigration Services and first reported by Global News, Karan Brar says his "study visa has arrived," while a photo shows him holding up what appears to be a passport with a Canadian study permit inside.

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026. The Crown-owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. is in good financial shape and in a position to offer rebates totalling $400 million, Premier David Eby said Wednesday at a news conference that began to the strain's of AC/DC's "Back In Black," a reference to the corporation's financial position.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026