Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay
A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says 18 Canadians were brought out of Haiti by helicopter this morning. On Monday, Joly had said the 18 had already left, but Global Affairs Canada has clarified that their departure was put off due to bad weather.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses
Canadian authorities are trying to reassure the public about the safety of bridges in the country following the collapse of a bridge in Baltimore, Md., early this morning after it was rammed by a container ship.

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April
TransLink says the King George SkyTrain Station will be closed for approximately six weeks starting next month. A statement says the closure starting April 27th will allow essential maintenance work to happen and the Expo Line in Surrey will temporarily end at Surrey Central Station.

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

Child dies in fall through ice

Child dies in fall through ice
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say a child has died in a plunge through the ice on Tyee Lake, in the province's Cariboo region. Police say it happened Saturday when the utility task vehicle the child was riding on went through the ice.

Child dies in fall through ice

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects
The British Columbia government is handing out $24 million to more communities that want to improve their walking and cycling infrastructure. The Active Transportation Infrastructure Grants program is part of a cost-sharing agreement with Indigenous, local and regional governments that provides up to $500,000 for infrastructure projects, and up to $50,000 to develop the active network plans. 

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly
Canada welcomes the United Nations Security Council's call for a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas during Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Monday.  Canada has been asking for a sustainable ceasefire since December, she said at a press conference in Ottawa.

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly