Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents
The New Democrat government says it's proposing changes to the Commercial Transport Act that currently prescribes fines for over-height vehicles of $500 to $598, levels that are unchanged for decades. Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the proposed changes are in response to 35 crashes involving over-height commercial vehicles since late 2021.

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents

Richmond seeks federal funding to house refugees crowding homeless shelters

Richmond seeks federal funding to house refugees crowding homeless shelters
The City of Richmond in British Columbia is urging the federal government to provide more temporary housing for refugees and asylum seekers or pay for the use of city shelters, with the newcomers taking up about a third of all beds at one shelter last year. Coun. Carol Day, whose motion proposing the request was passed unanimously by the council on Monday, says local residents experiencing homelessness have been denied shelter spaces because of the phenomenon.

Richmond seeks federal funding to house refugees crowding homeless shelters

B.C. auditor general says accounting fix should improve tax revenue estimates

B.C. auditor general says accounting fix should improve tax revenue estimates
British Columbia auditor general Michael Pickup says the provincial government is using more up-to-date information to forecast income tax revenue, something he expects to improve financial estimates that have routinely been off by more than $1 billion every year.

B.C. auditor general says accounting fix should improve tax revenue estimates

Surrey fire deemed suspicious

Surrey fire deemed suspicious
Mounties say they responded to a call around 7 p-m on Sunday to the complex in the 13300 block of 103 avenue, and firefighters were already on scene evacuating the building.  Police say anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity should contact the Surrey RCMP.

Surrey fire deemed suspicious

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat "immoral" UCP

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat
Former Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi came out of political retirement on Monday, announcing a run for Alberta's NDP leadership to challenge what he termed an “immoral” United Conservative government. Nenshi, 52, was elected mayor of Calgary in 2010 and won three terms before deciding to bow out before the 2021 municipal election.

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat "immoral" UCP

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas
Ottawa has not said which groups will receive the $1 million, nor when. Canada is also offering RCMP support for investigations, though it's unclear whether Israeli officials have made any specific request. Joly announced the measures on the platform X, formerly known as Twitter, on Monday, saying the funding is for "organizations who are supporting survivors of sexual violence committed by Hamas."

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas