Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Crypto mining company loses bid to force BC Hydro to provide power

Crypto mining company loses bid to force BC Hydro to provide power
A cryptocurrency mining company has lost a bid to force BC Hydro to provide the vast amounts of power needed for its operations, upholding the provincial government's right to pause power connections for new crypto miners. Conifex Timber Inc., a forestry company that branched out into cryptocurrency mining, had gone to the B.C. Supreme Court to have the policy declared invalid.

Crypto mining company loses bid to force BC Hydro to provide power

City of Calgary receives notice of petition to recall Mayor Jyoti Gondek

City of Calgary receives notice of petition to recall Mayor Jyoti Gondek
The City of Calgary says it has received notice of a recall petition against Mayor Jyoti Gondek, but it adds that the petition would need more than a half-million names in the next 60 days to remove her from office. Gondek has faced criticism for everything from property tax increases to a new NHL arena for the Flames to her decision late last year not to attend the annual menorah lighting ceremony to mark the beginning of Hanukkah.

City of Calgary receives notice of petition to recall Mayor Jyoti Gondek

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside
One person was left with burns on their hands after a vehicle fire in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. Officials say there was heavy fire coming from the vehicle when crews arrived just before 10 a-m at Powell Street and Gore Avenue.

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week
Passenger levels at Vancouver International Airport are expected to be almost completely recovered to pre-pandemic levels over the next week. Y-V-R officials say the airport is expecting an average of 60-thousand-177 passengers per day this week, with a total reaching 421-thousand.

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors
A North Vancouver man has pleaded guilty to one count of theft after an investigation found he stole more than one-million-dollars from nine investors. A statement from B-C Securities Commission says the 55-year-old man was arrested in October 2022 and remains on bail, entering the guilty plea last week with sentencing scheduled for early May.

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George
Cameron Stolz is the new owner of the 108-year-old Prince George Citizen after buying the paper from Glacier Media. Stolz, a businessman who owns a toy and comics store, said he entered talks to buy the weekly newspaper last November after outlets in Fort St. John and Dawson Creek closed, followed soon after by the newspaper in Kamloops.

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George