Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students
British Columbia's Minister of Post-Secondary Education Selina Robinson says no new institutions will be allowed to enrol international students for two years. Robinson also says the province is setting minimum language requirements so international students are "better prepared" before coming to B.C.  

B.C. blocks new colleges seeking to enrol international students

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says there’s an emerging patter of stability in the commercial real estate market. While sales were down in the third quarter of 2023 compared with the year before, the board says demand for commercial properties is starting to re-emerge. 

Real Estate Board see stability in real estate

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Human remains found in Nanaimo
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say human remains found at a beach on Wednesday have been identified as that of a 35-year-old man reported missing early last month.  Mounties say the remains were found at Neck Point beach.

Human remains found in Nanaimo

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel
Canada opted to say as little as possible Friday about an International Court of Justice ruling that ordered Israel to prevent a genocide of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. After hours of silence from the federal government, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly eventually released a statement that did not directly respond to the ruling.

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel

Canada suspends cash for UN agency serving Palestinians, amid probe into Hamas attack

Canada suspends cash for UN agency serving Palestinians, amid probe into Hamas attack
Canada is joining the United States in suspending funding for a UN agency that supports Palestinians, in response to allegations agency staff played a role in the Hamas attack on Israel last October.  Ottawa has ordered a temporary pause on "any additional funding" for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East.  

Canada suspends cash for UN agency serving Palestinians, amid probe into Hamas attack

Highway 99 closed overnight

Highway 99 closed overnight
Highway 99 in Richmond will be closed overnight for construction work on the Steveston Interchange project. The B-C Transportation Ministry says in a statement the highway will be shut down in both directions starting 11 p-m and ending Saturday at 4:30 a-m.  

Highway 99 closed overnight