Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Some key issues to watch for in B.C.'s provincial election campaign

Some key issues to watch for in B.C.'s provincial election campaign
The British Columbia provincial election campaign is expected to officially kick off Saturday, but party leaders have been vying for votes for months in the lead up to the Oct. 19 fixed election day. Here's a look at some of the issues that are expected to be front and centre over the next month and what the political parties have said about them so far.

Some key issues to watch for in B.C.'s provincial election campaign

B.C. election campaign starts Saturday; but Eby takes bus on test run, Rustad at UBCM

B.C. election campaign starts Saturday; but Eby takes bus on test run, Rustad at UBCM
Eby spoke to local politicians yesterday at the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention, as they presented a laundry list of concerns for the provincial government at the meeting, from homelessness to the overdose crisis and more support funding.

B.C. election campaign starts Saturday; but Eby takes bus on test run, Rustad at UBCM

Could a cap on grad students from abroad hurt more than help? Experts raise the alarm

Could a cap on grad students from abroad hurt more than help? Experts raise the alarm
Students attending master's, doctoral and postdoctoral courses were previously exempt from the overall cap on international students that Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced in January but they are now included in a further reduction of student visas he announced this week.

Could a cap on grad students from abroad hurt more than help? Experts raise the alarm

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert
Police in Prince Rupert say three people have been arrested in a series of searches that turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs in the city. Mounties say police executed multiple search warrants on September 6th on homes on  Second Avenue West and Ninth Avenue East, as well as a vessel tied up at Atlin Terminal.

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge
Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P say the community is facing an ongoing extortion scam that has triggered five reports to police in three days. Police say scammers are contacting residents with claims of having compromising photos and videos of the victim.

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study