Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Kenney says not his call to turf caucus members

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 May, 2021 09:55 AM
  • Kenney says not his call to turf caucus members

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is distancing himself from a decision to expel two members from his United Conservative caucus.

But he says the decision affirms confidence of the caucus in his leadership, and his government can’t be distracted right now by those with “personal agendas.”

Kenney made the comments this morning in an interview on CHED radio, one day after his caucus voted to turf backbench members Todd Loewen and Drew Barnes.

Loewen had called for Kenney to quit, saying the premier's actions are dragging the party down to defeat in the next election, while Barnes has been highly critical of Kenney’s COVID-19 response.

Kenney says it was caucus members who voted to expel the members and that he was careful not to influence the proceedings.

Both Loewen and Barnes have said they will sit as Independents, and that the party under Kenney is no longer a grassroots-driven movement but a top-down one-man show.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP motion calls on feds to end for-profit LTC

NDP motion calls on feds to end for-profit LTC
The NDP is tabling a motion Monday that calls on the government to transition existing for-profit homes to not-for-profit operations by 2030.

NDP motion calls on feds to end for-profit LTC

Canadian Michael Kovrig tried in Beijing

Canadian Michael Kovrig tried in Beijing
Canadian diplomats have been denied access to the trials with the explanation the hearings were being held behind closed doors because of alleged national security concerns.

Canadian Michael Kovrig tried in Beijing

Several provinces redouble vaccine efforts

Several provinces redouble vaccine efforts
As of last night, government figures show 3.95 million doses of vaccine had been administered across Canada, and nearly 630,000 people had been fully vaccinated.

Several provinces redouble vaccine efforts

Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for
Sharon Powell, another family friend, said she came to the home after hearing about the blaze.

Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

IHIT identify man in homicide case as Jeevan Singh Sull of Abbotsford

IHIT identify man in homicide case as Jeevan Singh Sull of Abbotsford
An injured male was located and transported to hospital.  The male has since succumbed to his injuries.

IHIT identify man in homicide case as Jeevan Singh Sull of Abbotsford

Two bodies found inside Richmond home fire identified of 2 South Asian brothers

Two bodies found inside Richmond home fire identified of 2 South Asian brothers
IHIT has identified the deceased as two South Asian brothers 25 year old Chaten Dhindsa and 23 year old Joban Dhindsa.     

Two bodies found inside Richmond home fire identified of 2 South Asian brothers