Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Kenney says not his call to turf caucus members

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 May, 2021 09:55 AM
  • Kenney says not his call to turf caucus members

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is distancing himself from a decision to expel two members from his United Conservative caucus.

But he says the decision affirms confidence of the caucus in his leadership, and his government can’t be distracted right now by those with “personal agendas.”

Kenney made the comments this morning in an interview on CHED radio, one day after his caucus voted to turf backbench members Todd Loewen and Drew Barnes.

Loewen had called for Kenney to quit, saying the premier's actions are dragging the party down to defeat in the next election, while Barnes has been highly critical of Kenney’s COVID-19 response.

Kenney says it was caucus members who voted to expel the members and that he was careful not to influence the proceedings.

Both Loewen and Barnes have said they will sit as Independents, and that the party under Kenney is no longer a grassroots-driven movement but a top-down one-man show.

MORE National ARTICLES

Adam Strong found guilty of murder, manslaughter

Adam Strong found guilty of murder, manslaughter
Adam Strong, 47, was convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of Rori Hache and of manslaughter in that of Kandis Fitzpatrick.

Adam Strong found guilty of murder, manslaughter

Suspected impaired driver crashes into roadblock on Highway 99

Suspected impaired driver crashes into roadblock on Highway 99
The driver of the civilian vehicle was arrested for impaired operation of a motor vehicle.

Suspected impaired driver crashes into roadblock on Highway 99

Pipeline politics back before Commons committee

Pipeline politics back before Commons committee
Michigan has refused to concede that the state's own experts have concluded there are no clear alternatives to the pipeline, he wrote to the governor in a letter earlier this year.

Pipeline politics back before Commons committee

Minister defends attack petition on Bigfoot movie

Minister defends attack petition on Bigfoot movie
Sonya Savage also says it’s critical to push back constantly against any false narrative that casts Alberta’s wellspring industry in a negative light.

Minister defends attack petition on Bigfoot movie

Surrey Vaisakhi parade cancelled for 2021 due to COVID19

Surrey Vaisakhi parade cancelled for 2021 due to COVID19
The event was to take place in Surrey on April 24th. The Surrey Vaisakhi parade is the largest in Canada and outside of India drawing crowds in excess of over half a million. 

Surrey Vaisakhi parade cancelled for 2021 due to COVID19

Wanted: Ideas to prepare for next major calamity

Wanted: Ideas to prepare for next major calamity
The notice says these fall somewhere between relatively common events such as seasonal floods and highly improbably risks such as an asteroid hitting Earth.

Wanted: Ideas to prepare for next major calamity