Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Kenney says not his call to turf caucus members

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 May, 2021 09:55 AM
  • Kenney says not his call to turf caucus members

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is distancing himself from a decision to expel two members from his United Conservative caucus.

But he says the decision affirms confidence of the caucus in his leadership, and his government can’t be distracted right now by those with “personal agendas.”

Kenney made the comments this morning in an interview on CHED radio, one day after his caucus voted to turf backbench members Todd Loewen and Drew Barnes.

Loewen had called for Kenney to quit, saying the premier's actions are dragging the party down to defeat in the next election, while Barnes has been highly critical of Kenney’s COVID-19 response.

Kenney says it was caucus members who voted to expel the members and that he was careful not to influence the proceedings.

Both Loewen and Barnes have said they will sit as Independents, and that the party under Kenney is no longer a grassroots-driven movement but a top-down one-man show.

MORE National ARTICLES

531 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

531 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There has been one new COVID-19 related death in the last 24 hours, for a total of 1,394 deaths in British Columbia.

531 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Elderly man dies in South Vancouver after being hit by a car

Elderly man dies in South Vancouver after being hit by a car
Paramedics attended the scene and the man was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The male pedestrian succumbed to his injuries and passed away Sunday.

Elderly man dies in South Vancouver after being hit by a car

Doctors fatigued by slow vaccine rollout: CMA

Doctors fatigued by slow vaccine rollout: CMA
The CMA survey, conducted on 1,648 practising physicians who responded between Feb. 18 and 22, found 69 per cent felt an increase in fatigue over the last year, with 65 per cent experiencing anxiety around the pandemic.

Doctors fatigued by slow vaccine rollout: CMA

Man who rammed Rideau Hall gate gets six years

Man who rammed Rideau Hall gate gets six years
He will also be prohibited from possessing any firearms, ammunition or explosive substances for life. Hurren had initially faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister.

Man who rammed Rideau Hall gate gets six years

Cabinet minister grilled over quarantine hotels

Cabinet minister grilled over quarantine hotels
Blair told the committee that quarantine measures have been effective and that any allegations should be thoroughly investigated.

Cabinet minister grilled over quarantine hotels

Panorama Ridge Secondary School in Surrey put on “Hold and Secure” yesterday

Panorama Ridge Secondary School in Surrey put on “Hold and Secure” yesterday
Two teenagers had an alleged dispute in a nearby alleyway. No weapon was found but police are still investigating.

Panorama Ridge Secondary School in Surrey put on “Hold and Secure” yesterday