Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Kinder chocolate recalled due to salmonella risk

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Apr, 2022 10:30 AM
  • Kinder chocolate recalled due to salmonella risk

A recall of certain Kinder brand chocolate products linked to an outbreak of salmonella in Europe and the U.K. has been expanded to Canada.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says there have been no illnesses reported in Canada in association with the affected products distributed by Ferrero Canada Ltd.

The recalled chocolates include Kinder Schoko-Bons, Happy Moments - Kinder Confections Assortment, Kinder Mini Eggs, Kinder Egg Hunt Kits, Kinder Mix 7 Easter Treats, Kinder Surprise Miraculous, Kinder Surprise Natoons and Kinder Surprise.

The products were sold nationally in a variety of sizes, with best before dates ranging from June 19, 2022 to Nov. 29, 2022.

The CFIA is conducting a food safety investigation, which may lead to the recall of other products.

Salmonella poisoning can result in a wide range of symptoms, from short-term fever, headache and nausea to more serious issues including severe arthritis and, in rare cases, even death.

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control said Wednesday the chocolate products were identified "as the likely route of infection" in an outbreak involving 134 children mainly under 10 years of age, several of whom have been hospitalized.

The chocolates are also being recalled in Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, the U.K., Norway and Sweden.

Photo courtesy of IStock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vatican says Pope Francis willing to visit Canada

Vatican says Pope Francis willing to visit Canada
The Vatican said in a statement that the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops invited the Pope to travel to Canada in the "context of the long-standing pastoral process of reconciliation with Indigenous peoples."

Vatican says Pope Francis willing to visit Canada

Vancouver police highlight random assaults

Vancouver police highlight random assaults
Vancouver police said in a series of posts on social media last week that there were 1,555 "unprovoked, stranger assaults" involving 1,705 victims reported between Sept. 1, 2020, and Aug. 31 this year.

Vancouver police highlight random assaults

Public asked to keep eye out for missing 21-year-old Delta resident Anmol Jagat

Public asked to keep eye out for missing 21-year-old Delta resident Anmol Jagat
“Anmol’s family is extremely concerned for his safety, and says disappearing in such a manner is not in his character,” says Cris Leykauf, spokesperson for Delta Police. She notes the family only moved to North Delta three months from outside BC, so Anmol is not that familiar with the area.    

Public asked to keep eye out for missing 21-year-old Delta resident Anmol Jagat

'Solemn day' for B.C. health-care system

'Solemn day' for B.C. health-care system
Adrian Dix said 1,369 of the unvaccinated workers are in the Interior region of the province, which has a total of about 126,000 health-care workers, and that overall vaccination rates are also low in Northern health.

'Solemn day' for B.C. health-care system

457 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

457 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 4,829 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 195,646 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 390 individuals are in hospital and 155 are in intensive care.

457 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

B.C. offers rebates for vehicle charging stations

B.C. offers rebates for vehicle charging stations
Bruce Ralston, the minister of energy, mines and low carbon innovation, says B.C.'s charger rebate program will receive $10 million as part of the budget this year to support installations of the charging stations.

B.C. offers rebates for vehicle charging stations