Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver Police Investigating Theft Of $40000 Arm Chairs

    Vancouver Police are asking for the public’s help to locate two chairs, valued at about $40,000 each, taken during a break-in to a furniture store in Coal Harbour last month.

    Vancouver Police Investigating Theft Of $40000 Arm Chairs

    David Saint-Jacques Doing Well After Space Flight: Canadian Space Agency

    The 49-year-old Quebec native boarded a NASA plane during the night and is expect to arrive in Houston later today after a brief stopover in Scotland.

    David Saint-Jacques Doing Well After Space Flight: Canadian Space Agency

    ‘Shots Fired’ Call That Prompted Cloverdale Evacuation Likely Fireworks: RCMP

    ‘Shots Fired’ Call That Prompted Cloverdale Evacuation Likely Fireworks: RCMP
    RCMP say that an earlier shots fired call at a residence in the 19400-block of 71A Avenue that occurred at approximately 9:10 a.m. on Monday is now believed to be related to fireworks.

    ‘Shots Fired’ Call That Prompted Cloverdale Evacuation Likely Fireworks: RCMP

    Police Say Four-year-old Boy Assaulted As Soccer Tournament Held In B.C.

    The Mounties are investigating an assault on a four-year-old boy who was taken to hospital with serious injuries.    

    Police Say Four-year-old Boy Assaulted As Soccer Tournament Held In B.C.

    U.S. Justice Department Alleges Fraud, Money Laundering Against 4 From Vancouver Firm

    Many of the alleged victims who paid fees were expecting to receive cash, prizes or specialized psychic services, says a Justice Department statement.

    U.S. Justice Department Alleges Fraud, Money Laundering Against 4 From Vancouver Firm

    SEE PICS: Ontario’s First Komagata Maru Memorial Park Opens In Brampton

    The SS Komagata Maru ship departed from Hong Kong in May of 1914, transporting immigrants, largely from the Punjab region of India, to Canada.

    SEE PICS: Ontario’s First Komagata Maru Memorial Park Opens In Brampton