Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Most Fuel Suppliers Won't Release Profit Margin Details To B.C. Gas Price Probe

    Most Fuel Suppliers Won't Release Profit Margin Details To B.C. Gas Price Probe
    VANCOUVER — An impasse may be developing just days before hearings are set to begin at the British Columbia inquiry examining possible reasons for soaring gas prices in the province.

    Most Fuel Suppliers Won't Release Profit Margin Details To B.C. Gas Price Probe

    Coquitlam RCMP Asking Public To Help Solve More-Than-Year-Old Home Invasion, Release Sketches Of Suspects

    Coquitlam Mounties are hoping that information from the public will help identify three suspects from an alleged Coquitlam home invasion.    

    Coquitlam RCMP Asking Public To Help Solve More-Than-Year-Old Home Invasion, Release Sketches Of Suspects

    Police Say Alcohol Likely Involved In Collision That Killed Cyclist On Gaglardi Way

    Police Say Alcohol Likely Involved In Collision That Killed Cyclist On Gaglardi Way
    Burnaby RCMP continues to investigate the tragic collision involving a cyclist on Gaglardi Way.    

    Police Say Alcohol Likely Involved In Collision That Killed Cyclist On Gaglardi Way

    Burnaby RCMP Investigate Weekend Shooting Incident

    Burnaby RCMP continues to investigate a shooting that occurred this past weekend.

    Burnaby RCMP Investigate Weekend Shooting Incident

    New Westminster Police Department Introduces Electronic Ticketing

    New Westminster Police Department Introduces Electronic Ticketing
    The New Westminster Police Department is changing the way traffic tickets are written in New Westminster.

    New Westminster Police Department Introduces Electronic Ticketing

    Metro Vancouver's Benchmark Home Price Falls Below $1M In June: Real Estate Board

    Metro Vancouver's Benchmark Home Price Falls Below $1M In June: Real Estate Board
    VANCOUVER — The benchmark price of a home in Metro Vancouver fell below $1 million last month, marking the first time the number dropped below seven figures since May 2017.

    Metro Vancouver's Benchmark Home Price Falls Below $1M In June: Real Estate Board