Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

As birth tourism rises again, will Trump's citizenship moves send more Canada's way?

As birth tourism rises again, will Trump's citizenship moves send more Canada's way?
Vancouver-based birth tourism operator Liga Lin says her phone has been buzzing with inquiries from expectant mothers since U.S. President Donald Trump moved to end American birthright citizenship. Lin's business, New Joy Postpartum Care, arranges accommodation and services for non-resident women — mostly from mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong — who want to give birth in Canada, granting their children automatic citizenship rights.

As birth tourism rises again, will Trump's citizenship moves send more Canada's way?

A short list of some of the U.S. goods to be hit with Canadian tariffs on Tuesday

A short list of some of the U.S. goods to be hit with Canadian tariffs on Tuesday
Effective Tuesday, Canada is imposing 25 per cent tariffs on $30 billion in goods originating in the United States — part of Canada's response to sweeping tariffs on Canadian goods ordered by U.S. President Donald Trump. Here are some of the major categories of imported items being hit with Canadian tariffs, along with their approximate annual dollar values:

A short list of some of the U.S. goods to be hit with Canadian tariffs on Tuesday

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. among provinces pulling U.S. booze from provincial retailers

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. among provinces pulling U.S. booze from provincial retailers
Canadian alcohol producers are cheering decisions from several provinces to yank U.S. booze from provincial liquor stores. They say the move will deliver a boost to homegrown business while adding ammunition to a federal plan aimed at getting the U.S. to back down from tariffs.

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. among provinces pulling U.S. booze from provincial retailers

Canada slaps retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods, outlines response plan

Canada slaps retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods, outlines response plan
Ottawa is imposing 25 per cent tariffs on hundreds of goods originating in the United States — from meat and milk to carpets and curtains — in response to steep new American levies against Canada. A federal official also signalled that Canada will pursue available legal remedies in response to the U.S. breaching its international trade commitments.

Canada slaps retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods, outlines response plan

Employment Outlook 2025: Opportunities and Challenges in BC and Canada

Employment Outlook 2025: Opportunities and Challenges in BC and Canada
The employment landscape in British Columbia (BC) and Canada is undergoing dynamic transformations shaped by economic shifts, evolving labor market demands, and demographic changes. As we move into 2025, a comprehensive outlook reveals both opportunities and challenges for job seekers, particularly for immigrants, underrepresented groups, and youth entering the workforce.  

Employment Outlook 2025: Opportunities and Challenges in BC and Canada

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions
The federal government says it is deferring the implementation of a hike to the capital gains inclusion rate to next year and plans to introduce new exemptions to ensure most middle-class Canadians do not pay more tax if the rate becomes official. The deferral announced by Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc on Friday delays the implementation of the change from June 25, 2024 to Jan. 1, 2026.

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions