Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. chief wants Oscar-nominated residential school film to be part of curriculum

B.C. chief wants Oscar-nominated residential school film to be part of curriculum
The film "Sugarcane," directed by Secwépemc artist Julian Brave NoiseCat from Williams Lake in the B.C. Interior, and Toronto journalist Emily Kassie, received an Academy Award nomination this week for best documentary feature.

B.C. chief wants Oscar-nominated residential school film to be part of curriculum

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says it has deployed a team of investigators after a collision and sinking of a workboat near Squamish, B.C., last month. It says the incident happened on Dec. 18. 

TSB investigators deployed after boat crash and sinking near Squamish

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside
Critics are denouncing Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim's plan for revitalizing the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, with former councillor Jean Swanson saying his proposal to pause supportive housing construction is "Trumpian."

Critics denounce Vancouver mayor's 'Trumpian' plan to 'integrate' Downtown Eastside

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds
British Columbia climate activist Zain Haq and his wife Sophia Papp are planning to live together in Pakistan if his threatened deportation proceeds on Saturday, and blame his imminent expulsion on bureaucratic failings by immigration officials. Haq, a Pakistani citizen who co-founded activist group Save Old Growth as an international student, was granted a temporary resident permit last April, pausing deportation to allow his spousal application for permanent residency to be processed.

B.C. climate activist couple to live in Pakistan if deportation proceeds

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles
The federal government is providing a $1-billion loan to Canada Post to help the Crown corporation continue operating amid "significant financial challenges." Canada Post says it was notified it will receive the $1.034 billion in repayable funding through the 2025-26 fiscal year.

Canada Post gets $1-billion loan from federal government amid financial struggles

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit
Defence Minister Bill Blair says Canada could hit its NATO defence spending target within just a few years if need be but didn't commit to doing so. NATO members have all committed to spend the equivalent of two per cent of its GDP on defence but Canada has consistently failed to reach that target.

Bill Blair says Canada could hit NATO target in 2 years, but doesn't commit