Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberal Housing Minister Sean Fraser says he won't seek re-election

Liberal Housing Minister Sean Fraser says he won't seek re-election
Housing Minister Sean Fraser says he will not be running in the next federal election, citing a need to spend more time with his family. Fraser made the announcement Monday morning at a news conference in Ottawa ahead of a cabinet meeting and the fall economic statement.

Liberal Housing Minister Sean Fraser says he won't seek re-election

Fiscal update in limbo after Freeland quits as finance minister

Fiscal update in limbo after Freeland quits as finance minister
The Liberal government's plans to unveil a fall economic update on Monday were thrown into disarray by the finance minister's abrupt resignation. Chrystia Freeland released a letter Monday morning announcing her decision to step aside after she and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau "found ourselves at odds about the best path forward for Canada."

Fiscal update in limbo after Freeland quits as finance minister

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quits cabinet the day of fall economic statement

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quits cabinet the day of fall economic statement
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has resigned from cabinet on the day she is set to present the government's fall economic statement. In a resignation letter posted to social media, she said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered her another role in cabinet on Friday, but that the only "honest and viable path" is to leave cabinet. 

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quits cabinet the day of fall economic statement

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says
The federal government pushed to end the work stoppage last week, when Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order the 55,000 picketing employees back to work within days if it determined a deal isn't doable before the end of the year.

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government is reeling as he loses top cabinet ministers, including Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland who was set to release a key economic update on Monday. Freeland made a surprise declaration she's making her exit from cabinet because the prime minister lost faith in her, after she fought back against some of his policy decisions and he wanted to assign her to a new role.

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.
Squamish RCMP say emergency crews have recovered the body of one of the two people who may have been home after their residence was hit by the same mudslide that closed the Sea to Sky highway. BC RCMP spokesperson Cpl. James Grandy says the search continues this evening for a second person who remains unaccounted for.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.