Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Darpan 10 with The Honourable David Eby, Premier of British Columbia

Darpan 10 with The Honourable David Eby, Premier of British Columbia
The Darpan 10 with the Premier of BC, Mr.David Eby. He shares more about his second term as Premier and what British Columbians can expect during the next 4 years. 

Darpan 10 with The Honourable David Eby, Premier of British Columbia

Trudeau directs key adviser to deliver renewed national security strategy

Trudeau directs key adviser to deliver renewed national security strategy
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has directed a top adviser to deliver a renewed national security strategy setting out a framework for Canada’s security, defence and diplomatic posture. In a mandate letter to national security and intelligence adviser Nathalie Drouin, Trudeau says he expects her to consult Canadians and work through the national security council to develop the strategy.

Trudeau directs key adviser to deliver renewed national security strategy

Drug smuggling intercepted by CBSA

Drug smuggling intercepted by CBSA
The Canada Border Services Agency says officers intercepted 210 bricks of cocaine being smuggled into B-C in three separate incidents. It says the seizures amounted to a combined weight of 246 kilograms worth of drugs that have an estimated street value of more than 6.6 million dollars.

Drug smuggling intercepted by CBSA

Long-awaited carbon rebate for businesses being sent earlier than promised

Long-awaited carbon rebate for businesses being sent earlier than promised
About 600,000 small businesses will start receiving their long-awaited federal carbon rebates today. The federal government has promised to return about $2.5 billion collected from small and medium-sized businesses in carbon pricing since 2019.

Long-awaited carbon rebate for businesses being sent earlier than promised

Passerby stabbed during shoplifting at Vancouver liquor store

Passerby stabbed during shoplifting at Vancouver liquor store
A passerby has been seriously injured after he was stabbed by a shoplifter who was trying to flee a liquor store in Vancouver's Olympic Village neighbourhood. Vancouver police say the attack happened on Saturday at around 10:30 p.m., when a security guard was trying to stop a shoplifter from leaving the liquor store.

Passerby stabbed during shoplifting at Vancouver liquor store

B.C. health minister vows overdose revamp after addictions portfolio is scrapped

B.C. health minister vows overdose revamp after addictions portfolio is scrapped
British Columbia's new health minister says she's aiming for more treatment beds and fewer deaths in a revamped approach to the province's drug overdose crisis. It comes after David Eby's newly elected government eliminated the stand-alone Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions, which advocates say had no "teeth."

B.C. health minister vows overdose revamp after addictions portfolio is scrapped