Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump
A former United States ambassador to Canada is sounding the alarm that a second Donald Trump presidency would cause chaos for Canadians as he urged Americans abroad that their votes could prove crucial in the presidential election. Bruce Heyman, who served as ambassador from 2014 to 2017, gave Canada a “tsunami warning,” saying if Trump takes the White House, Canada is at great risk.  

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers
Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage. A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver
A North Vancouver man has been sentenced to three years in prison after stealing close to one-million dollars U-S from investors. The B-C Securities Commission says Ward Derek Jensen was sentenced in provincial court after pleading guilty to theft over five-thousand dollars.

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver

Weather and luck help B.C. wildfire situation, but drought and risks persist

Weather and luck help B.C. wildfire situation, but drought and risks persist
Though the wildfire season in B.C. this year has been less intense than last year's record destruction, drought conditions persist in many regions and the situation could worsen, Emergency Minister Bowinn Ma has warned. More than 350 wildfires are burning across B.C., 18 properties have been ordered evacuated and 1,600 properties are on evacuation alert, meaning residents must be ready to leave at short notice.

Weather and luck help B.C. wildfire situation, but drought and risks persist

Rail strike would halt B.C.'s West Coast Express commuter train, says TransLink

Rail strike would halt B.C.'s West Coast Express commuter train, says TransLink
The operator of British Columbia's commuter train that shuttles thousands of people across the Lower Mainland says it won't be able to run if a strike halts Canada's two biggest railways this week. Metro Vancouver transport provider TransLink says the West Coast Express operates on rail owned by Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. and can't run without that company's dispatchers and railworkers.

Rail strike would halt B.C.'s West Coast Express commuter train, says TransLink

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen says Canada will provide $5.7 million for Ukrainians to meet their basic needs. Ottawa says it's maintaining solidarity with Ukraine two-and-a-half years into Russia's full-scale invasion as Hussen visits Kyiv.

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children