Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets
The Conservative Party of Canada has deleted a video that was meant to promote its Canadian values but featured images of what the Defence Minister's office says are Russian fighter jets.  The party acknowledged on Monday that mistakes happen, while also pointing out that the Liberals have dealt with a stock image backlash in the past. 

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Canadian rail strike looking

Canadian rail strike looking
A ban on all new cargo pickups at Canadian Pacific is coming tomorrow if a deal is not reached between two of Canada's major railways and its union. A phased shutdown of the networks is already underway as a potential work stoppage looms on Thursday.

Canadian rail strike looking

Global Affairs says Canadian reported dead after yacht capsized off Sicily

Global Affairs says Canadian reported dead after yacht capsized off Sicily
Global Affairs Canada said Monday it's aware of reports that a Canadian has died after a luxury superyacht sank off Sicily during a violent storm, while Italian authorities said they continued to search for six people who remained unaccounted for.

Global Affairs says Canadian reported dead after yacht capsized off Sicily

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales
A Vancouver-based film company and its drone operator have been fined a total of $30,000 for operating a drone too close to northern resident killer whales.  A statement from Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the fines follow an investigation by the department's whale protection unit.

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales

B & E suspect ID needed

B & E suspect ID needed
Mounties in West Kelowna are asking the public for help in identifying the suspect in a break-and-enter at a home earlier this month. R-C-M-P say it happened when the homeowners were out for a walk, and while their adult daughter and her child were in the basement.

B & E suspect ID needed

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor
The mayor of Montreal says the cause of a major water main break Friday morning near the city's Jacques Cartier Bridge remains unknown. Valérie Plante says 50 buildings were flooded when millions of litres of water erupted onto city streets, and 16 households have asked the Red Cross for emergency housing.

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor