Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says a third person has died in a Listeria outbreak connected to Great Value and Silk plant-based milks. The agency says there are now 20 confirmed cases of listeriosis in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Alberta. 

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments
The recently appointed chief commissioner of the Canadian Human Rights Commission said Monday that he agreed to resign after an investigation into his past comments related to Israel. Birju Dattani has previously denied allegations that he made anti-Israel statements, including what Conservatives characterize as a "justification of terrorism."

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.
Little rain and a lot of lightning is fuelling wildfire activity in British Columbia.  The BC Wildfire service says lightning has been the spark behind more than 80 per cent of nearly 260 new blazes over the last week.

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

One dead after vehicle reportedly crosses highway median in Nanaimo

One dead after vehicle reportedly crosses highway median in Nanaimo
Police on Vancouver Island are investigating a two-vehicle highway crash that killed one person over the weekend. Nanaimo RCMP say witnesses told police they saw the driver of a car cross the median on the Nanaimo Parkway and hit an SUV head on. 

One dead after vehicle reportedly crosses highway median in Nanaimo

Jasper wildfire evacuees can start returning to townsite on Friday

Jasper wildfire evacuees can start returning to townsite on Friday
People who live in Jasper, Alta., will be allowed to return to the community on Friday, but wildfire officials say they should not expect to spend the night in their homes. Town incident commander Christine Nadon told reporters it's a blanket re-entry to allow everyone to come back at once. 

Jasper wildfire evacuees can start returning to townsite on Friday

CBC paid over $18 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs

CBC paid over $18 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. paid $18.4 million in bonuses this year after hundreds of jobs at the public broadcaster were eliminated. Documents obtained through access to information laws show CBC/Radio-Canada paid out bonuses to 1,194 employees for the 2023-24 fiscal year.

CBC paid over $18 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs