Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian recession looms this year if U.S. tariffs stay in place: economists

Canadian recession looms this year if U.S. tariffs stay in place: economists
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said Canada's response will include retaliatory tariffs on $155 billion worth of American goods. That will include tariffs on $30 billion worth of goods immediately and tariffs on the remaining $125 billion worth of American products 21 days later.

Canadian recession looms this year if U.S. tariffs stay in place: economists

U.S. tariffs set to slow pace of homebuilding in Canada: CHBA

U.S. tariffs set to slow pace of homebuilding in Canada: CHBA
Canada's building industry says a trade war with the United States will slow down the pace of home construction. Canadian Home Builders' Association CEO Kevin Lee says the U.S. tariffs levied against Canada today will have a "muted" impact on the industry on their own.

U.S. tariffs set to slow pace of homebuilding in Canada: CHBA

Canada and U.S. stock markets plunge for a second day after trade war launched

Canada and U.S. stock markets plunge for a second day after trade war launched
North American stock markets plunged for a second day as the U.S. imposed broad tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico, triggering a continental trade war. The S&P/TSX composite index was down 547.26 points at 24,454.31, after U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order implementing the tariffs took effect at just after midnight.

Canada and U.S. stock markets plunge for a second day after trade war launched

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on track to deliver budget as Trump slaps tariffs

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on track to deliver budget as Trump slaps tariffs
One day before delivering her first budget, British Columbia's finance minister said she knows that everyone is wondering how it can be done in the face of unprecedented tariffs from the United States.  It is not time to make "deep cuts," Brenda Bailey told reporters on Monday, but a time to plan for uncertainty and ensure programs and services are protected.

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on track to deliver budget as Trump slaps tariffs

U.S. plans to nearly triple anti-dumping duty on Canadian softwood as tariffs loom

U.S. plans to nearly triple anti-dumping duty on Canadian softwood as tariffs loom
British Columbia Premier David Eby says news that the U.S. Department of Commerce wants to almost triple the anti-dumping duties on Canadian softwood lumber is a "massive threat" to the province's forestry sector. The American department issued a preliminary anti-dumping rate of 20.07 per cent, up from 7.66 per cent set three years ago, which is in addition to countervailing duties of 6.74 per cent.

U.S. plans to nearly triple anti-dumping duty on Canadian softwood as tariffs loom

One dead after Langley explosion that may have been caused by drug lab: police

One dead after Langley explosion that may have been caused by drug lab: police
The explosion and fire left two people with critical injuries and one person unaccounted for as the flames destroyed the home, spread to nearby residences and forced the closure of the neighbourhood. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom says in a news release that investigators remained at the scene over the weekend and were working with the BC Coroners Service to identify the remains.

One dead after Langley explosion that may have been caused by drug lab: police