Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state
Trump reiterated his rhetoric about Canada joining the United States in a post on Truth Social after Trudeau’s announcement that he will resign as Liberal leader and prime minister as soon as a new leader is chosen.

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit
The B-C Supreme Court says WestJet must turn over harassment complaint files spanning years covered by a long-running class-action lawsuit launched by flight attendants over alleged sexual harassment by company pilots. The court ruling says WestJet has been slow to hand over documents in the case, which was filed in 2016 by lead plaintiff Mandalena Lewis.

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial
The two men found guilty of human smuggling in the case of a family from India who froze to death while trying to walk across the Canada-U.S. border in Manitoba in 2022 are seeking acquittal, or new trials. The two men, Steve Shand of Florida and Harshkumar Patel, an Indian national arrested in Chicago, were convicted by a Minnesota jury in November on all four counts each were facing.

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial

Edmonton police charge man in partner's homicide after woman found dead on riverbank

Edmonton police charge man in partner's homicide after woman found dead on riverbank
Edmonton Police have laid charges after a woman was found dead on a bank of the North Saskatchewan River last week. In a news release, police say a 31-year-old man has been arrested and charged with second degree murder.

Edmonton police charge man in partner's homicide after woman found dead on riverbank

Number of Albertans receiving income support reaches highest total since 2019

Number of Albertans receiving income support reaches highest total since 2019
Government data shows the number of Albertans receiving provincial income support has reached a five-year high. As of October, almost 57,500 residents were getting income support.

Number of Albertans receiving income support reaches highest total since 2019

Suspect arrested who hid in dumpster

Suspect arrested who hid in dumpster
Vancouver Police say they arrested an armed man in Kitsilano who tried to hide from officers in a dumpster.  The Vancouver Police Department says officers used a police dog and a beanbag shotgun in the arrest of the man who had reportedly been in people's backyards in the area of the Arbutus greenway. 

Suspect arrested who hid in dumpster