Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in break and enter

Man charged in break and enter
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been charged after an alleged five-day break and enter spree in the city a year ago. They say that between November 8th and 12th, 2023, officers were called to nine break-and-enters in apartment buildings in the city centre.

Man charged in break and enter

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI
A coalition of Canadian news publishers is suing OpenAI for using news content to train its ChatGPT generative artificial intelligence system. The coalition includes The Canadian Press, Torstar, Globe and Mail, Postmedia and CBC/Radio-Canada.

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway
BC Highway Patrol says the crash happened just before 11 a.m. on a stretch of Highway 1 in Chilliwack, where an eastbound dump truck saw two of its wheels come loose from one of its axles as it was driving. Police say one of the loose wheels then crossed the highway into the westbound lanes, where it hit the SUV head-on.

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway