Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet
A bus carrying members of Premier David Eby's new cabinet has arrived at Government House in Victoria, with passengers including both new and familiar faces. Among newly elected members of the NDP caucus on the bus were former broadcaster Randene Neill and Vancouver Police Department veteran Terry Yung, while cabinet veterans including Mike Farnworth, Adrian Dix and Ravi Kahlon, also walked off the bus.

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges
An Ottawa man is pleading not guilty to charges of terrorism and hate-speech related to the promotion of a far-right group. RCMP charged Patrick Gordon Macdonald in July 2023, alleging he took part in activities of a listed terrorist organization.

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Indecent act in Richmond

Indecent act in Richmond
Police are looking for a man who followed a woman who was walking in Richmond and then exposed his genitals to her.  They say it happened in the area of Number 3  Road and Goldstream Drive back on November 6th. 

Indecent act in Richmond

Fatal rollover crash on Hwy 99

Fatal rollover crash on Hwy 99
Mounties in Surrey say they are investigating a fiery overnight crash that killed two people and caused a partial shutdown of Highway 99. Mounties say they closed the road between 16th Avenue and 32nd Avenue northbound and are asking people to use alternate routes.

Fatal rollover crash on Hwy 99

B.C. nursing student attacked with knife during first clinical placement: union

B.C. nursing student attacked with knife during first clinical placement: union
The Vancouver Police Department said officers responded to the scene around 9 a.m. following reports of an assault inside the hospital, which left the 37-year-old victim with non-life-threatening injuries. Vancouver police spokesman Sgt. Steve Addison said a 48-year-old man, who was a patient at the hospital, was arrested.

B.C. nursing student attacked with knife during first clinical placement: union

B.C. charities worried Canada Post strike will affect fundraising efforts

B.C. charities worried Canada Post strike will affect fundraising efforts
Some B.C. charities and not-for-profits said they are worried the Canada Post strike will jeopardize their year-end fundraising efforts. Nicole Mucci, a spokeswoman for Union Gospel Mission in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, said 50 per cent of the organization's revenue normally comes between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and a mail strike at this time of the year is "detrimental" since so many donations come in the mail. 

B.C. charities worried Canada Post strike will affect fundraising efforts