Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases
The federal government says Canada will challenge recent increases to softwood lumber duties by the United States. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says Canada has taken steps to launch two legal challenges under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou
Sources in the Official Opposition BC United party have leaked a file on the "extremism" of the B.C. Conservatives' executive director, Angelo Isidorou, less than two weeks after the parties' leaders announced a deal to work together.

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions
Former fashion mogul Peter Nygard is a "sexual predator" who showed no empathy for his victims, an Ontario judge said Monday as he sentenced the disgraced tycoon to 11 years in prison for his crimes in Toronto. The 83-year-old's time behind bars will work out to a little less than seven years after accounting for credit he received for time already spent in custody, and Nygard will be eligible to apply for parole in just over two years. 

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election
Former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney will chair a Liberal task force on economic growth. The appointment was announced as Liberal MPs gathered in Nanaimo, B.C. today to plot their strategy for the coming election year.

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist
Wildfire smoke has prompted Environment Canada to issue an air-quality advisory for several regions in central and northeastern British Columbia. The weather office says pollution levels are either expected or occurring in the region, and are likely to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says
Health Minister Mark Holland says more than four-fifths of dental providers are now participating in his government's dental-care program, and some 600,000 Canadians have taken advantage of it. The update comes a month after the minister touted a 75 per cent participation rate.

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says