Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert
A growing cluster of out-of-control wildfires in the British Columbia Interior has forced officials to place residents in the area under an evacuation alert. The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako says people in a remote area about 80 kilometres south of Burns Lake, B.C., should be prepared to leave on short notice.

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada
Canada's unemployment rate continued to trend higher in August — reaching 6.6 per cent — as the job market slowdown hits workers and job seekers unevenly. Statistics Canada’s labour force survey on Friday showed the economy added a modest 22,000 jobs last month, lagging the pace of population growth.

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Witnesses sought in hit and run

Witnesses sought in hit and run
Police are looking for witnesses after investigators determined that a man found dead off the Coquihalla Highway last month was the victim of a hit-and-run. The B-C Highway Patrol say the man was found just off the roadway near a highway exit in Merritt on August 30th.

Witnesses sought in hit and run

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting
A man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of another man at a Richmond sushi restaurant.  Jian Jun Zhu was killed in the September 2020 shooting at Manzo restaurant where another victim was also shot but survived.

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

2 men charged with assault in stabbing
Police in New Westminster have charged two men with assault in a stabbing described as an "unprovoked attack by a stranger." Police say officers were flagged down on the night of July 30th to assist someone suffering from a stab wound in the abdomen.

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

Homicide in Agassiz

Homicide in Agassiz
Police in Agassiz say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a woman in a case of possible intimate partner violence. Mounties say police were called to a home at the Seabird Island Band in April and found a 33-year-old woman dead at the scene.

Homicide in Agassiz