Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. faces child welfare social work 'crisis,' porn disrupts video announcing report

B.C. faces child welfare social work 'crisis,' porn disrupts video announcing report
British Columbia's children's representative says child welfare social workers in the province are "in a state of crisis" and it will likely take a decade to fix things, even with committed efforts. But an online news conference with Jennifer Charlesworth after the report was released was interrupted when a participant shouted racial slurs and then began showing a pornographic video.

B.C. faces child welfare social work 'crisis,' porn disrupts video announcing report

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists
Much of British Columbia is thawing to seasonal temperatures, although arctic outflow warnings remain in place for some parts of the province. Environment Canada says an arctic air mass is bringing strong winds through the Whistler Valley and wind-chill values near -20 C while snow remains in Metro Vancouver, where temperatures are still below freezing.

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children
Police say an East Abbotsford daycare owner has been charged with allegedly assaulting children in her care. Abbotsford Police say officers launched an investigation into reports that the 60-year-old had assaulted children in October.

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites
A Vancouver Island doctor involved in setting up unsanctioned overdose prevention sites has resigned from her positions with Island Health, claiming she was placed on leave as punishment for her public advocacy work. Dr. Jess Wilder, a co-founder of the group Doctors for Safer Drug Policy, says in a resignation letter dated Feb. 5 that she's leaving her positions with Island Health "immediately." 

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites

Canadian pride is on the rise in wake of Trump's tariff threat - especially in Quebec

Canadian pride is on the rise in wake of Trump's tariff threat - especially in Quebec
Two new polls suggest Quebecers are feeling pretty good about their relationship with Canada these days. Between December and February, the share of Quebecers who said they were "very proud" or "proud" to be Canadian increased 13 points from 45 per cent to 58 per cent, according to an Angus Reid poll conducted online Sunday and Monday.

Canadian pride is on the rise in wake of Trump's tariff threat - especially in Quebec

Police seek suspect in alleged Canada-wide romance scam that cost victims $275k

Police seek suspect in alleged Canada-wide romance scam that cost victims $275k
Police in Ontario say they are looking for a man who is alleged to have swindled nearly a dozen victims across Canada in a romance scam. Peel Regional Police say 11 victims from Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and Saskatchewan lost a total of $275,000 in the alleged scam.

Police seek suspect in alleged Canada-wide romance scam that cost victims $275k